Flat bottomed steering wheels - why??

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: Flat bottomed steering wheels - why??

Postby sussex2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:20 pm

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:isn't it meant to be 'sporty' as it mirrors the shape found in sports cars etc. where the tight cockpit needs that shape wheel to allow the driver to get in... no real need for it in an Audi
Alasdair

It's funny, but real sports cars don't bother (thinking Lotus, Caterham etc). Although they might have a removeable wheel. It's more marketing BS, like having an unpleasantly crashy ride on pointlessly large wheels is "sporty" :roll:

Those oversized wheels and crashy ride, so beloved of those willing to pay more than the worth, and for the sake of appearance.
It's strange how I see so many of these prestige cars, on transporters, toodling along the C32 in Catalunya, up towards France and the rest of Europe.
A more jaundiced opinion than mine may think they are all produced in the same factory in Zaragoza, the one SEAT cars come from.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 pm

sussex2 wrote:
jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:isn't it meant to be 'sporty' as it mirrors the shape found in sports cars etc. where the tight cockpit needs that shape wheel to allow the driver to get in... no real need for it in an Audi
Alasdair

It's funny, but real sports cars don't bother (thinking Lotus, Caterham etc). Although they might have a removeable wheel. It's more marketing BS, like having an unpleasantly crashy ride on pointlessly large wheels is "sporty" :roll:

Those oversized wheels and crashy ride, so beloved of those willing to pay more than the worth, and for the sake of appearance.
It's strange how I see so many of these prestige cars, on transporters, toodling along the C32 in Catalunya, up towards France and the rest of Europe.
A more jaundiced opinion than mine may think they are all produced in the same factory in Zaragoza, the one SEAT cars come from.

I suppose they have to have something now that "spoilers" are falling out of fashion.

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

I can imagine that id'd help people with very long or fat upper legs in cars that don't have seat height or steering wheel height adjustment.

Yes, exactly that..

ancient

Postby ancient » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 am

Only if they are never turned, or the wider bit will dig into the upper legs. So they let people get in to cars with no seat height or sterring wheel adjustment, but don't allow them to steer?

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am

ancient wrote:Only if they are never turned, or the wider bit will dig into the upper legs. So they let people get in to cars with no seat height or sterring wheel adjustment, but don't allow them to steer?

It would work for getting i nand out, as the additional clearance wheel:seat would be in place with the wheel at TDC. Then for steering their legs would be either side of the wheel as it turned.

There used to be a rotund local bus driver (Hants & Dorset IIRC) who could steer with his stomach :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm

High end Astons have squareish wheels. Sounds stupid, but not unpleasant to use.

On the other hand my wife is finding the rather handsome looking wheel in her new Merc SLC 43 very unpleasant. She says the rim is too thick and makes her hands hurt.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Come to think of it, her wheel also has a flat bottom. It raises electrically when you switch off to make it easier to get in and out, so the fat leg argument doesn't apply.

https://www.google.de/search?q=slc+43&c ... HeHyf3sXOM:

In Mercedes world, if you buy a Sport the wheel is round. AMG Lines get a flat bottom. It's only fashion.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 am

waremark wrote:Come to think of it, her wheel also has a flat bottom. It raises electrically when you switch off to make it easier to get in and out, so the fat leg argument doesn't apply.

https://www.google.de/search?q=slc+43&c ... HeHyf3sXOM:

In Mercedes world, if you buy a Sport the wheel is round. AMG Lines get a flat bottom. It's only fashion.

Exactly! A SEAT Leon with cracking performance, decent handling, well built, but with just about the most uncomfortable gear knob in the auto world - why oh why do they do it?
ps Forgot about the silly door mirrors that whistled above a certain speed..good job it had a decent stereo :)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 pm

I believe the current rash of them was introduced in a Lamborghini (not sure of model but probably Gallardo). In that it was allegedly because of the limited clearance between wheel and seat (a bit pointless imho if it makes it impossible to turn the wheel more than 10 degrees in either direction :D ). Since Lamborghini is now part of the VAG group, it was then adopted for any vaguely "sporty" model from that group.

My Skoda has one too. I hate it.
Nick

gannet

Postby gannet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:43 pm

my DS3 had one, never noticed it give any issues personally...

Return to “General Chat”