Riding a bicycle without brakes

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
gannet

Re: Riding a bicycle without brakes

Postby gannet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm

akirk wrote:
gannet wrote:I think my bike is legal, but even so there are several near misses each week with pedestrians who just don't look to their right when approaching the middle of the road - or don't even look either way because facecrap is more important... Most times I've already spotted them walking between the stationary traffic but not always if they choose to walk in front of a van or HGV (yes I know...)

now put yourself into those scenes at the wheel of a car instead of on a bike - what would your thoughts be?

Alasdair

a car wouldn't fit ;)

the same?

sorry it winds me up - EVERY road user should take responsibility for their own safety. As soon as a pedestrian steps into the road they become a fellow road user. Sure we all make mistakes, but pedestrians seem to treat the roads they are crossing as a simple inconvenience rather than the danger they really can be. I've had near misses, but they have been misses because my speed is always such that I can stop. When I do so and suggest to them they might consider using the crossing not 20m up the road or I dunno looking before crossing, I get abuse, never an apology - why? I tend to keep stum...

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 pm

I wonder if it is because, in the UK, we do not provide sufficient places where:
A pedestrian can see it may be somewhere safe to cross the road.
Plus, a driver or rider can expect the find people crossing the road.

The attached is an old document but, in my opinion, still relevant:

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/new ... urvey.html

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 pm

gannet wrote:...
I think my bike is legal, but even so there are several near misses each week with pedestrians who just don't look to their right when approaching the middle of the road - or don't even look either way because facecrap is more important... Most times I've already spotted them walking between the stationary traffic but not always if they choose to walk in front of a van or HGV (yes I know...)

Do you not have a bell/air horn?

gannet

Postby gannet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm

crr003 wrote:
gannet wrote:...
I think my bike is legal, but even so there are several near misses each week with pedestrians who just don't look to their right when approaching the middle of the road - or don't even look either way because facecrap is more important... Most times I've already spotted them walking between the stationary traffic but not always if they choose to walk in front of a van or HGV (yes I know...)

Do you not have a bell/air horn?

I considered an air horn but decided it might be too obnoxious and they are bulky (my bike has to fold)... the bell is next to useless as it barely registers above their headphones...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:56 pm

I'll leave these here. I know who's at fault (and could have avoided the collision), but the pedestrians didn't help themselves.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

gannet

Postby gannet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 pm

yup, that about sums it up...

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:17 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I know who's at fault (and could have avoided the collision), but the pedestrians didn't help themselves.

Bike, in both cases, imho. Particularly in the second one, but both were filtering too fast given the stationary traffic.
Nick

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Perhaps my words didn't make my opinion clear.

In the first, you don't pass buses/lorries like that where you can't see what/who might pop out.

In the second you can even see it developing and he had loads of time to slow / stop.

Both could have been avoided by both riders and both pedestrians.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Yes, of course, pedestrians were behaving rather like lemmings, but as you say, in the second you can see the lady turn on the pavement and start to walk out and the bike doesn't even attempt to slow down. However, no injuries, and perhaps lessons were learnt on both sides.
Nick

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:I know who's at fault (and could have avoided the collision), but the pedestrians didn't help themselves.

Bike, in both cases, imho. Particularly in the second one, but both were filtering too fast given the stationary traffic.

Absolutely. In the second clip the biker could, or should have seen the pedestrian stepping out between the stationary vehicles.

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”