Riding a bicycle without brakes

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
akirk

Re: Riding a bicycle without brakes

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

gannet wrote:
akirk wrote:
gannet wrote:I think my bike is legal, but even so there are several near misses each week with pedestrians who just don't look to their right when approaching the middle of the road - or don't even look either way because facecrap is more important... Most times I've already spotted them walking between the stationary traffic but not always if they choose to walk in front of a van or HGV (yes I know...)

now put yourself into those scenes at the wheel of a car instead of on a bike - what would your thoughts be?

Alasdair

a car wouldn't fit ;)

the same?

sorry it winds me up - EVERY road user should take responsibility for their own safety. As soon as a pedestrian steps into the road they become a fellow road user. Sure we all make mistakes, but pedestrians seem to treat the roads they are crossing as a simple inconvenience rather than the danger they really can be. I've had near misses, but they have been misses because my speed is always such that I can stop. When I do so and suggest to them they might consider using the crossing not 20m up the road or I dunno looking before crossing, I get abuse, never an apology - why? I tend to keep stum...

I partially agree (with the need for pedestrians to take more care) but I also disagree - I think that every road user has a responsibility for their own safety, AND that of others with whom they share the space. The reason for asking about being in a car is that it illustrates the need for all to care for all - hit a pedestrian on a bike and injury and death is rare, in a car... And yes, we can all agree that a pedestrian lacking in care is being an idiot, but with the privilege of driving comes responsibility to others...

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:33 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:I'll leave these here. I know who's at fault (and could have avoided the collision), but the pedestrians didn't help themselves.

In the several hundreds of metres before the second collision, there was not one single pedestrian crossing. The pedestrian would have no choice but to walk through the traffic.
It's certain more care should have been taken by both, but, the lack of safe places to cross does not help.
A friend from abroad who visits the UK frequently is amazed and bemused, by this lack of opportunity to cross 'Where do I cross the road' is what he says.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 am

gannet wrote:The incident that caused all this discussion in the first instance is of course a tragic one, the cyclist rightly being prosecuted accordingly.

I wonder if he would have charged IF his bike had been legal though.

I think my bike is legal, but even so there are several near misses each week with pedestrians who just don't look to their right when approaching the middle of the road - or don't even look either way because facecrap is more important... Most times I've already spotted them walking between the stationary traffic but not always if they choose to walk in front of a van or HGV (yes I know...)

On the subject of front vs rear brakes... I have disks at both ends... it is without doubt the front brake that stops you, but how come I go through rear pads a lot quicker than front ones :?

If the pedestrian is in the middle of the road, then do they not have priority, shouldn't you give way?

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 pm

First video does not give enough time before the collision to assess what happened but in the second one the pedestrian can clearly bee seen rushing up the pavement the rider should have spotted this and slowed down in anticipation of a possible crossing.

However in both cases it is also the responsibility of the pedestrian to consider their own safety too. Many seem to forget this.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm

exportmanuk wrote:However in both cases it is also the responsibility of the pedestrian to consider their own safety too. Many seem to forget this.

Not disputed. But filtering past stationary traffic (in one case between two rows of stationary traffic) at 20 mph, and not even considering the risk of hitting something, is pretty foolish too.
Nick

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 pm

sussex2 wrote:If the pedestrian is in the middle of the road, then do they not have priority, shouldn't you give way?

Nope. I think the rule you're thinking of applies to turning into a road that a pedestrian is already crossing (Rule 206). The situations above don't match that. OTOH the Highway Code urges pedestrians to use the Green Cross Code - patently not used by the two pedestrians in the video clips.
Nick

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Not disputed. But filtering past stationary traffic (in one case between two rows of stationary traffic) at 20 mph, and not even considering the risk of hitting something, is pretty foolish too.

Agreed I filter most days and always aware pedestrians don't look so ride accordingly. If I cant see both sides of the road for example when passing a large vehicle I will creep past brakes covered just in case a lemming decides to cross.

I rode through Manchester city centre around 5 this evening, most pedestrians have a death wish I am sure. There is one set of lights I passed through, between each change of lights the pedestrians have a 4 way crossing. Each has a count down timer to the red man. It took several sets of lights for me to pass through them ( from my direction only 2 cars per change as opposing had a right filter) every set people continued to step off the pavements after the red man and the traffic was starting to move.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 pm

exportmanuk wrote:I rode through Manchester city centre around 5 this evening, most pedestrians have a death wish I am sure. There is one set of lights I passed through, between each change of lights the pedestrians have a 4 way crossing. Each has a count down timer to the red man. It took several sets of lights for me to pass through them ( from my direction only 2 cars per change as opposing had a right filter) every set people continued to step off the pavements after the red man and the traffic was starting to move.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:06 pm

It appears to me that in the two clips the pedestrians stepped into the path of the oncoming riders whilst looking the wrong way.

If a pedestrian steps into the path of a two wheeled vehicle, even if travelling at slow speed, the rider has little chance. In fact even if they can avoid hitting the pedestrian they are likely to fall off and be injured.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:04 pm

jcochrane wrote:It appears to me that in the two clips the pedestrians stepped into the path of the oncoming riders whilst looking the wrong way.

If a pedestrian steps into the path of a two wheeled vehicle, even if travelling at slow speed, the rider has little chance. In fact even if they can avoid hitting the pedestrian they are likely to fall off and be injured.

In Clip two the rider had time to observe, anticipate and react just didn't. They were as much to blame as the pedestrian. Both had a responsibility for the safety of them selves and others around them.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “General Chat”