Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
crr003

Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 am

"Admiral says its data shows that drivers who attend a speed awareness course are more likely to have an accident in the following 12 months than those who committed no offence."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ess-course

Finally, proof that SACs don't work. Is it time to just hand out proper punishment and learn from that?

jont-

Re: Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 pm

crr003 wrote:"Admiral says its data shows that drivers who attend a speed awareness course are more likely to have an accident in the following 12 months than those who committed no offence."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ess-course

Finally, proof that SACs don't work. Is it time to just hand out proper punishment and learn from that?

Only if it also goes along with setting speed limits properly :roll:

angus

Postby angus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Admiral ask if you've attended a SAC (along with claims/convictions) and will penalise you as if you'd picked up 3 points

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Admiral could *say* that their data shows whatever they like. If it's easy for them to say that it shows a higher likelihood of an accident in the next 12 months then, hey, kerchinng!

Cynical? Me?

An easy answer might be to not use Admiral.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Admiral could *say* that their data shows whatever they like. If it's easy for them to say that it shows a higher likelihood of an accident in the next 12 months then, hey, kerchinng!

It's also believable if your observation is missing cameras and camera vans, you're probably missing other things that might contribute to an accident.

Perhaps it's more damning about the ability of course to change drivers behaviour?

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Not if the bloody camera van looks like a small plain white Peugeot Partner builders van. :evil:

Nigel.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:31 pm

fungus wrote:Not if the bloody camera van looks like a small plain white Peugeot Partner builders van. :evil:

Nigel.

Yep or they are on a M40 motorway bridge at 6 in the morning when the is F##k all other traffic around
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

RiK

Postby RiK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 pm

jont- wrote:It's also believable if your observation is missing cameras and camera vans, you're probably missing other things that might contribute to an accident.

Such as, for example, one of these:

;-)
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 pm

I've never, touch wood, been on one of these courses but wonder about the content. If it is all 'You've been naughty boys and girls and that's why you are here' I can not really see it working.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 pm

There is someone I was talking to in the AD world earlier this year who runs the courses - someone like that runs a very constructive course - for any driver (including all of us) there is always something to learn / be reminded about...

however, from what I have heard there are those running these courses who are patronising / know-it all / and often get things wrong

so I suspect it depends on who is running it...

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”