Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
fungus

Re: Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Postby fungus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:18 pm

I'll let you know when I've done mine.

Nigel.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Mixed bag, I think. I did one down at Newbury earlier in the year. Relax, go with the flow. There is a fair bit of sense, although some egg-sucking instructions are given.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:23 pm

crr003 wrote:"Admiral says its data shows that drivers who attend a speed awareness course are more likely to have an accident in the following 12 months than those who committed no offence."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ess-course

Finally, proof that SACs don't work. Is it time to just hand out proper punishment and learn from that?

I'll take the bait...errr not proof...you might be comparing apples with pears...

Anyone who attends an SAC might be in a higher risk category...it's not because they attended...in fact the SAC might be reducing their on-road risk.

Are you suggesting training or education doesn't work? It kind of goes against why many contributors are here...
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:39 am

martine wrote:
crr003 wrote:"Admiral says its data shows that drivers who attend a speed awareness course are more likely to have an accident in the following 12 months than those who committed no offence."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ess-course

Finally, proof that SACs don't work. Is it time to just hand out proper punishment and learn from that?

I'll take the bait...errr not proof...you might be comparing apples with pears...

Anyone who attends an SAC might be in a higher risk category...it's not because they attended...in fact the SAC might be reducing their on-road risk.

Who knows? Without data. Still, good business all round. If other insurance companies jump on this bandwagon, I wonder how long the attractiveness of the SAC will continue?

martine wrote:Are you suggesting training or education doesn't work? It kind of goes against why many contributors are here...

I'm sure it works with some. Those that haven't looked at a Highway Code for 30 years. It's a bit of a captive audience - especially with the threat of a real three points/£100 hanging over them till the end of the session?
I'd be interested to see the rate of recidivism.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am

It's a curious thing. The SAC I went on was a very mild session, very little blame being bandied about. Just information, some general refreshing on speed limits, stopping distances, and observation. Possibly a bit too mild to have much effect.

But if they did make SAC's any "stronger" people would refuse to go on them and just swallow the fine and the points. Oddly enough Mrs T has said that if she was offered a SAC she would rather take the points. But she can't stand being preached at and it's "never her fault" :hit:

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 am

martine wrote: Are you suggesting training or education doesn't work? It kind of goes against why many contributors are here...

Ooh did I hear the creaking noise as that can of worms is opened again? :lol:

There is very little proof that training 'works' - and if it does, which aspects actually make the difference :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Define 'works'.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Strangely Brown wrote: Define 'works'.

That depends on why the training session is being run. What the trainee 'gets' from the session may not be what the instructor expects.

Interesting question to ask, though as:
IAM Roadsmart wrote:Whether you want to improve your driving and riding skills, enjoy the fun of our local groups, or take a road trip with our rider clubs, IAM RoadSmart is about becoming a better, more considerate road user.

Define 'better' :lol: :shock: :?

Their answer:
On-road Training Advanced Driver Course
•Improved skills and knowledge
•Boost your confidence

Doesn't actually tell us what skills are improved or whether their increase increase will persevere for the same duration as the confidence.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Fun of our local groups? That's a new one.

Some would think that the only justification for the whole thing is helping drivers to become safer. It is sad that they have not been able to prove that.

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm

It's a bit like the Pass Plus. Fifteen years ago it was widely promoted by the DSA and it's examiners. Now very few examiners locally mention it. A few years ago the DSA admitted that it hadn't had the desired effect in reducing casualties amongst new drivers, especially the younger ones. Also many instructors were teaching most of the modules practically in normal lessons with the obvious exception of motorway driving, with practical adverse weather being covered if the opportunity arose. These two modules could be covered in theory if, for instance, a motorway was not near enough, or in the case of adverse weather, there was not any. In the past three or four years I have not heard of an instructor locally offering Pass Plus.

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”