BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:36 pm

And interesting at twilight.

I was up there bike training one summer evening. We had travelled N through the 'terraces' down from the Ridgeway, then stopped at the farm entrance just before the drop down to Wantage. Few minutes chat, turn around to head back to Newbury. Loads of deer in the fields just before the uphill starts . . . so quite likely they were in the undergrowth alongside the road as we'd passed.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Triquet wrote:
GeoffGrayer wrote:the B4494 between Newbury and Wantage

I dislike that road: it's a pig at night-time.

Glorious road, at least it was before the reduced limits on the open sections.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Gareth wrote:
Triquet wrote:

I think they're covered over or something every time I go that way ;)

Serious point: I used to use it regularly as one of my advanced training routes, as the [almost] final section of a loop. The first chunk after Wantage, up to the top of the downs then the long straight . . . potentially lulling them into complacency before the very narrow, bumpy, twitchy, bendy section with junctions. A very dramatic 'Jekyll and Hyde' road.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 pm

It's the very narrow, bumpy, twitchy, bendy section that's the pig at night-time, particularly if you are behind one of the Occupied North Berkshire 40mph Road Captains.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Gareth wrote:
Triquet wrote:

Huh? There are reduced limits?

Interesting, I've only ever driven as fast as I can whilst also ensuring I could stop in the distance I see to be clear.

One of the very few roads where one could easily exceed the speed limit whilst rounding a bend, on the wrong side of the road, in full safety, simply because the crossviews are excellent!

And yes - I have randomly appeared out of the mysterious gloom of university work to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Good to have you back. How's Uni?

GeoffGrayer

Postby GeoffGrayer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:49 am

Huh? There are reduced limits?

As you come out of Newbury, the B4494 is 40mph until you reach the bridge over the A34 -
quite reasonably, since there are a lot of side entries on this section.
It is then 60mph all the way to the Oxfordshire Border, with the exception of a very short section through Brightwalton Holt, which is currently 50mph, but the inhabitants are campaigning for a lower limit, as there are some blind entries here. But there are very few sections where you can safely overtake.
As previously mentioned, the limit beyond the Border, which corresponds roughly to the highest point on the Downs, is 50mph until you reach Wantage. Quite a few straight sections along this stretch.
I seem to remember it was used on one of those videos which were circulating in the IAM, with an example commentary - I can't remember by whom - and I think he passed my old car is on that video! That was before the 50mph limit was imposed.
Geoff.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:01 am

It's a Chris Gilbert one, I think. On YouTube.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Horse wrote:Good to have you back. How's Uni?

Eh, it's university. Let us say no more on that subject ;) :mrgreen:

GeoffGrayer wrote:Huh? There are reduced limits?

As you come out of Newbury, the B4494 is 40mph until you reach the bridge over the A34 -
quite reasonably, since there are a lot of side entries on this section.
It is then 60mph all the way to the Oxfordshire Border, with the exception of a very short section through Brightwalton Holt, which is currently 50mph, but the inhabitants are campaigning for a lower limit, as there are some blind entries here. But there are very few sections where you can safely overtake.
As previously mentioned, the limit beyond the Border, which corresponds roughly to the highest point on the Downs, is 50mph until you reach Wantage. Quite a few straight sections along this stretch.
I seem to remember it was used on one of those videos which were circulating in the IAM, with an example commentary - I can't remember by whom - and I think he passed my old car is on that video! That was before the 50mph limit was imposed.
Geoff.

My statement was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek!

I am aware of the lower limits, however I stick to the 40 section, as that's very sensible. I stick to that brief 50 limit (frequently am below it due to the hidden entrances etc), but the 50 limits across the border, I take with a pinch of salt. Think it's one of the few country roads I've travelled at a speed considerably in excess of the limit without really exerting myself!

Return to “General Chat”