BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
crr003

BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:42 pm

http://www.brake.org.uk/media-centre/17 ... r-learners

BRAKE calling for more training to deal with rural roads:

BRAKE wrote:Road safety charity Brake is today calling for compulsory lessons on rural roads for learner drivers, as part of a graduated licensing system, to reduce fatalities and serious injuries.

Followed by this:
BRAKE wrote:"Brake is also calling for a review of rural speed limits and for 'Voluntary Intelligent Speed Adaptation', which helps drivers keep within the limit, to be fitted as standard to new cars. There is also the need for better and more affordable public transport, so fewer young people see starting driving in their teens as a necessity."

Great news - after this additional training, BRAKE wants speed limits reviewed. So all those 40s and 50s will get reinstated to NSL because everyone's had proper training.

Otherwise why not just leave the speed limits as they are (or even better, redefine NSL=40).

akirk

Re: BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Postby akirk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:54 pm

How does a 'voluntary' system help drivers keep to a speed limit? or is Voluntary Intelligent Speed Adaption a pseudonym for someone's brain?!

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:10 pm

According to the Brake rep interviewed on the radio this morning, "80% of young drivers die on country roads". Really?

[He got it right later]

+ points from the interview: 'so' used once, about correctly
- points from the interview: about a dozen uses of "you know" (no, we don't, that's why you're telling us)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Got invited on local radio about this unfortunately I was out and about on rural roads experiencing the idiots who can't drive.
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm

crr003 wrote:
BRAKE wrote:"Brake is also calling for a review of rural speed limits and for 'Voluntary Intelligent Speed Adaptation'

'Voluntary Intelligent Speed Adaptation? I do that all the time.
Job done.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Intelligent Speed Adaption, the article explains, can be configured to be mandatory or voluntary.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Is anyone a member or in touch with BRAKE?
I'm trying to understand how ISA would help on rural roads - if the limit's 60 (ha!) and the upcoming bend needs 30, ISA will let you happily carry on at 60? Ooooh carnage.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 pm

crr003 wrote:Is anyone a member or in touch with BRAKE?
I'm trying to understand how ISA would help on rural roads - if the limit's 60 (ha!) and the upcoming bend needs 30, ISA will let you happily carry on at 60? Ooooh carnage.

The the local council will reduce the whole 10 miles of road to 20 MPH in order to reduce the terrible accident rate on the road
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:37 pm

crr003 wrote:if the limit's 60 (ha!) and the upcoming bend needs 30, ISA will let you happily carry on at 60?

Don't be silly, there'll be a speed limit change every 5 yards to cater for this flaw in our roads.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Gareth wrote:
crr003 wrote:if the limit's 60 (ha!) and the upcoming bend needs 30, ISA will let you happily carry on at 60?

Don't be silly, there'll be a speed limit change every 5 yards to cater for this flaw in our roads.

The problem is the damage has been done - the number of people I go out with on NSL/50 rural roads and they will say with no hint of sarcasm, "why is the limit 60/50, I can't possibly do that here?" Of course, then the mind manipulation commences......
They truly believe the council should be telling them the speed for every bend.

Return to “General Chat”