Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:53 pm

hir wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Good luck doing 3 stage braking in a modern dual clutch car! ;)

Why?

Sorry, I should have qualified that with "when coming to a stop". As soon as you ease off pressure on the brake pedal the engine starts pulling again.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:57 pm

akirk wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:Rub. Condense. Release.

are we on the same forum :lol:

a neat way of describing it - I have also heard people describing it as a lemon shape - taper on - big push - taper off

Alasdair

I'll throw in the squeezing a tube of toothpaste onto your brush analogy.

There's also another less polite one used in biking circles, don't read on if easily offended :lol:
It involves number 2s. ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:16 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
hir wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Good luck doing 3 stage braking in a modern dual clutch car! ;)

Why?

Sorry, I should have qualified that with "when coming to a stop". As soon as you ease off pressure on the brake pedal the engine starts pulling again.

Have driven quite a number of double clutch equipped cars (not including a Renault) and none of the ones I have driven do that. Most would not start pulling again until you touch the accelerator. Happily my Renaultsport Megane is manual.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:53 pm

waremark wrote:Have driven quite a number of double clutch equipped cars (not including a Renault) and none of the ones I have driven do that. Most would not start pulling again until you touch the accelerator. Happily my Renaultsport Megane is manual.

That's interesting. My Renaultsport Clio creeps like a traditional auto. This is my first DCT so I assumed they all do that.

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Pontoneer wrote:I would suggest that is how one should ALWAYS apply the brakes ; to me that is just NORMAL braking , as taught decades ago .

One should be equally smooth and progressive with all controls : braking , steering , acceleration .

Good luck doing 3 stage braking in a modern dual clutch car! ;)

I only drive automatics these days , and somewhat rarely Classic or earlier cars with manual , even non synchro transmissions , so modern stuff doesn’t interest me .

If such vehicles cannot be driven with smoothness and finesse , then all the more reason to avoid them .

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
hir wrote:

Why?

So do my automatics , but I can ease them to a smooth halt without difficulty .

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Pontoneer wrote:So do my automatics , but I can ease them to a smooth halt without difficulty .

Can you describe your technique with automatics? I can do it with the DCT but it's not the same as when driving our manual cars or my motorcycle.

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Hard to describe , but coming onto the brakes much like any other car - just apply smoothly and firm up progressively .

When almost stopped I lift off the brakes slightly to avoid the last moment snatch , then reapply just coming to the stop .

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Oh , at this time of year , when icy surfaces can be a problem , worth mentioning that it can be beneficial in an automatic to slip into neutral when coming up to a junction : you then don’t have the back wheels pushing the car on while the fronts are trying to stop it with limited grip - makes a huge difference , especially if downhill towards the mouth of a junction on snow or ice .

martine

Postby martine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 pm

If you mean changing into neutral while still moving (albeit slowly) - I thought that was a bad practice on autos as it can cause damage? I guess it's the same as towing an auto which is explicitly warned against in the manufacturers manuals I've seen.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “General Chat”