Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Rub. Condense. Release.

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby akirk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Rub. Condense. Release.


are we on the same forum :lol:

a neat way of describing it - I have also heard people describing it as a lemon shape - taper on - big push - taper off

Alasdair

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Silk wrote: Also known as a chauffeur stop, I believe.


Filly sometimes gets twitchy because we're heading towards stationary traffic and insists that I brake . . . when I already am! Not hit anything yet ;)
My own views. For better or worse :)

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby jont- » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Silk wrote:
crr003 wrote:Three-stage braking.


Also known as a chauffeur stop, I believe.


Not with any chauffeur I've ever had drive me (mind you, since I chucked in a formal complaint our regular firm at least have stopped doing 50 through villages :shock: )

Silk
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:22 pm

jont- wrote:
Silk wrote:
crr003 wrote:Three-stage braking.


Also known as a chauffeur stop, I believe.


Not with any chauffeur I've ever had drive me (mind you, since I chucked in a formal complaint our regular firm at least have stopped doing 50 through villages :shock: )


Ali and his fleet of Nissan Bluebirds doesn't count. :-)

User avatar
AndyP
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 am
Location: Bath/Bristol

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby AndyP » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 am

Okay I will add my bit.
I used to call it 'sine wave' braking as well

BUT yes all the same as Tapered/three stage/rub etc/three F's/feel firm feather.
Reg Local's video on his site has a good explanation and demo.

[Not that the guy that delivered the Trout from the farm in open tanks to restock my Parents Fishing lake ever heard of those, full on or off seemed about right]
:headbang:

They had a little bit of 'SEEPAGE' [apologies to David Walliams] :vomit:
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

Pontoneer
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

hir wrote:
Tapering the braking simply means coming onto the brake pedal with an initial gentle pressure to bring the pads and discs into contact and gently altering the attitude of the car with the weight being moved forward without a jerk, then the braking pressure is firmed up and brake pressure modulated to achieve the desired braking effect, then the pressure on the brake pedal is tapered off as the speed comes down to that which is required. The opposite to tapering the braking is to "jump" on the brakes to start with and then to "jump" off them at the end. This results in a somewhat uncomfortable, unsmooth, jerky brake application. Jumping on and off the brakes is usually a result of inadequate planning.


So, taper braking is about how one applies the brakes, trail braking is about where one applies the brakes.


I would suggest that is how one should ALWAYS apply the brakes ; to me that is just NORMAL braking , as taught decades ago .

One should be equally smooth and progressive with all controls : braking , steering , acceleration .

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Pontoneer wrote:I would suggest that is how one should ALWAYS apply the brakes ; to me that is just NORMAL braking , as taught decades ago .

One should be equally smooth and progressive with all controls : braking , steering , acceleration .

Good luck doing 3 stage braking in a modern dual clutch car! ;)
Mike Roberts

hir
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby hir » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Pontoneer wrote:I would suggest that is how one should ALWAYS apply the brakes ; to me that is just NORMAL braking , as taught decades ago .

One should be equally smooth and progressive with all controls : braking , steering , acceleration .

Good luck doing 3 stage braking in a modern dual clutch car! ;)


Why?

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:07 pm

How can I tell if my car has a dual clutch?
My own views. For better or worse :)


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests