Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Rolyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm

If I'm going to follow these forums in 2018, I'm going to have to buy a car with much more complicated tech than the standard engine and clutch I've got now.

I know that it all makes sense to you guys, and it is my ignorance that is letting me down, but all I can hear is "wah wah wah wah wah".

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm

martine wrote:If you mean changing into neutral while still moving (albeit slowly) - I thought that was a bad practice on autos as it can cause damage? I guess it's the same as towing an auto which is explicitly warned against in the manufacturers manuals I've seen.

Certainly not with Mercedes-Benz : you can tow a MB automatic for up to 20 miles at speeds not exceeding 20 mph - the owners manual for every car I’ve had states that .

Same for tow starting with a flat battery : tow up to 30mph in neutral then select Drive to bump start - in the manual .

Rocking between drive and reverse to get out of ruts in snow - in the manual .

Slipping into neutral coming to a halt is completely harmless ; and back into drive if clear to go .

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm

IIRC when FiL's Peugot auto broke down the AA man refused (to his control) to tow it and insisted on a 'Relay' collection to take it to the menders two miles away.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Rolyan wrote:If I'm going to follow these forums in 2018, I'm going to have to buy a car with much more complicated tech than the standard engine and clutch I've got now.

I know that it all makes sense to you guys, and it is my ignorance that is letting me down, but all I can hear is "wah wah wah wah wah".

I run the forum and my newest car is 2003! - very little tech here, and no desire for it :)

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 pm

akirk wrote:
Rolyan wrote:If I'm going to follow these forums in 2018, I'm going to have to buy a car with much more complicated tech than the standard engine and clutch I've got now.

I run the forum and my newest car is 2003! - very little tech here, and no desire for it :)

Alasdair

My day job is autonomous cars and I'm keeping the caterham... :gear:

Return to “General Chat”