In search of an automatic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Re: In search of an automatic

Postby martine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:00 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Add to that stop start tech and they can be a particular pain at roundabouts....

Explain please?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

martine wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:Add to that stop start tech and they can be a particular pain at roundabouts....

Explain please?

I had an Audi hire car a little while back that some **** had left in "eco" mode. Every time you came to a halt at a roundabout it would cut out - usually just as the gap you wanted appeared, and which by the time it restarted you had missed (or at least weren't comfortable going for). Eventually found the "stop/start disable" button, and later still the mode button that in normal/sport wasn't anywhere near as aggressive in killing the engine. In a manual you can avoid stop/start by holding down the clutch, but in auto there's no option to do that.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm

:o My Clio caught me out today coming to a minor Give Way to join a major. All lined up to just stop at the line (vehicles close behind preventing a roll in), car come past and then slot in. And then there was ... silence. Bl**dy Stop/Start cut in. It then fired, shot forward and I had to brake hard. I normally turn it off when starting up (as it always switches back on the next time you turn the ignition on!) but today had started the car and let in run while the aircon did its thing as I programmed the SatNag.

The only reason it has Stop/Start is to meet emissions requirements. The fact you can't turn it off is an emissions requirement. With it on in certain circumstances it will give you more MPG meeting emission requirements. In the real world it's just a pain in the ****!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote::. And then there was ... silence. Bl**dy Stop/Start cut in. It then fired, shot forward and I had to brake hard.

Yep exactly at least on the 1 series I can just push the gear leaver to the left when approaching junctions it changes down a gear and cut out the stop start. The C3 I reach for the eco off button as soon as its started otherwise it can seriously catch you out in city traffic.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “General Chat”