Pedestrian Area and Road Signs

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Pedestrian Area and Road Signs

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I thought I'd ask here what people think of the signs erected for a recently pedestrianised area in Ipswich. The signs are supposed to direct you away from the area down another road (that is also block paved). The whole area now no longer resembles the original layout of the roads being fully open plan (there's no paint though slightly raised kerbs exist), yet the No Entry and the Proceed in The Direction are placed as if those roads still existed. Also these signs are very low on non-standard 'poles' and not where one is normally looking for such signs.

Image Image Image Image
Click on the images for a better view.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Re: Pedestrian Area and Road Signs

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Similar height here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.40120 ... 4352?hl=en

Open to drivers 5pm - 10am.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm

I guess they are trying to make the area less cluttered and the signs less 'intrusive'. Tricky one...they need to be easily seen by drivers but I suppose the change in road surface and general environment will make for heightened awareness and encourage scanning including the signs.

When it's a busy Saturday morning, are the signs visible?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 am

martine wrote:When it's a busy Saturday morning, are the signs visible?

How about on a busy Tuesday morning with delivery lorries, building work taking place and pedestrians wandering about?

How many embarrassed smilies do I need to insert to get absolution? :oops: :oops:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:04 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
martine wrote:When it's a busy Saturday morning, are the signs visible?

How about on a busy Tuesday morning with delivery lorries, building work taking place and pedestrians wandering about?

How many embarrassed smilies do I need to insert to get absolution? :oops: :oops:

Hahaha! :mrgreen:
I'd ask the council about their legality. Do delivery vans etc. ignore them?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:28 pm

I don't venture in to town very often, so was surprised to see the makeover the area has had.

I saw no signs and took the route I've taken for the past 40 years, and it was only as I came to the end of the 'road' I shouldn't have gone down (and found the crossroads that used to be there redesigned), that it was obvious I'd messed up and shouldn't have come that way. A quick check for traffic and the ramp at the pedestrian crossing allowed me back on to the normal roads.

I knew something had gone wrong somewhere and I went back the next day to take the pics.

The 'Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 - Regulatory Signs' suggests (not MUST be) the minimum distance to the bottom of the lowest sign/plate should be 900mm. There's no way these are that. However, a quick search shows these type of hooped sign holders are sold by many suppliers and seem to be in use in many places. In the past there was good reason to have signs up high(ish) and that reason still exists ... unless you enforce the No Parking Zone rigorously.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I don't venture in to town very often, so was surprised to see the makeover the area has had.

I saw no signs and took the route I've taken for the past 40 years, and it was only as I came to the end of the 'road' I shouldn't have gone down (and found the crossroads that used to be there redesigned), that it was obvious I'd messed up and shouldn't have come that way. A quick check for traffic and the ramp at the pedestrian crossing allowed me back on to the normal roads.

I knew something had gone wrong somewhere and I went back the next day to take the pics.

The 'Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 - Regulatory Signs' suggests (not MUST be) the minimum distance to the bottom of the lowest sign/plate should be 900mm. There's no way these are that. However, a quick search shows these type of hooped sign holders are sold by many suppliers and seem to be in use in many places. In the past there was good reason to have signs up high(ish) and that reason still exists ... unless you enforce the No Parking Zone rigorously.

If they were serious they'd be using pedestrian zone signs - 618.x and paint?
A big boned shopper would render those hoop things useless.

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:How many embarrassed smilies do I need to insert to get absolution? :oops: :oops:

Granted my son.

I feel your pain and I can see myself falling for that here, as well.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “General Chat”