Dangerous or just careless?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
dvenman

Dangerous or just careless?

Postby dvenman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:59 pm

From BBC News:

An aristocrat who caused a three-car crash on a busy road has been cleared of dangerous driving. Lady Susan Zetland, 77, of Aske Hall, near Richmond, North Yorkshire, tried to cross the A66 at the Hargill junction on 4 July.

Although if you look at the dashcam video at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-40100934, she clearly has to pull up to avoid the HGV then makes the decision to pull out in front of oncoming traffic.

I'd say that was dangerous, not careless...

crr003

Re: Dangerous or just careless?

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Rod Hunt wrote:He also said one of the cones preventing cars going straight across or to the right was missing, leaving a gap."

What cone is missing? The one she took out with her rear end?

At the start of the clip, she nearly got her front taken off by an LGV?

Maybe IAM Roadsmart could offer her a Mature Driver Assessment?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:46 pm

But, but, but ...

Regardless of her making a decision to go, she was trying to turn RIGHT! Yet you can clearly see that you can only turn left due to the roadworks.

Rod Hunt, defending said "... one of the cones preventing cars going straight across or to the right was missing, leaving a gap". Yes one is missing, yet if you step through the video you can see the poles preventing you going across and creating a contra-flow are all in place. She knocks one down to get through.

Dangerous. Without due care and attention. Driving on auto-pilot "Because one has always turned right there".
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:40 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:But, but, but ...

Regardless of her making a decision to go, she was trying to turn RIGHT! Yet you can clearly see that you can only turn left due to the roadworks.

Rod Hunt, defending said "... one of the cones preventing cars going straight across or to the right was missing, leaving a gap". Yes one is missing, yet if you step through the video you can see the poles preventing you going across and creating a contra-flow are all in place. She knocks one down to get through.

Dangerous. Without due care and attention. Driving on auto-pilot "Because one has always turned right there".

Are you thinking Rod is referring to a cone on the far side - past the cylinders (poles) - where the LGV ended up going?

There doesn't seem to be a gap in the Diagram 7103 cylinders (before the event)?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm

crr003 wrote:Are you thinking Rod is referring to a cone on the far side - past the cylinders (poles) - where the LGV ended up going?

Yes. He is, as he says cone. They are blocking, apart from one a little out of line, the full gap in the central reservation.

crr003 wrote:There doesn't seem to be a gap in the Diagram 7103 cylinders (before the event)?

Exactly. But watch how she pulls out. She is making no attempt to go left, she is heading across/right. Watch the front offside wheel.

Here's what she normally sees at that junction. I stand by my auto-pilot conclusion.

StreetView
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:57 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Are you thinking Rod is referring to a cone on the far side - past the cylinders (poles) - where the LGV ended up going?

Yes. He is, as he says cone. They are blocking, apart from one a little out of line, the full gap in the central reservation.

crr003 wrote:There doesn't seem to be a gap in the Diagram 7103 cylinders (before the event)?

Exactly. But watch how she pulls out. She is making no attempt to go left, she is heading across/right. Watch the front offside wheel.

Here's what she normally sees at that junction. I stand by my auto-pilot conclusion.

StreetView

I wonder what her eyesight is like.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Have to wonder if her name was Waynette Slob (or an 18 y/o male in a sports car) whether she'd have been let off with the lesser charge :roll:

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Maybe there was an extra cone on the give way line continuing the curve to the left. Not convinced it was necessary but at least 10 of the 12 jurors were or that it wasn't far below the standard of a careful and competent driver either way.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:31 am

jont- wrote:Have to wonder if her name was Waynette Slob (or an 18 y/o male in a sports car) whether she'd have been let off with the lesser charge :roll:

Something to do with the nail being hit on the head?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 am

I've watched the video a few times and believe the lady was lucky indeed. A collision like that a few years ago may well have produced fatalities. It is the strength of modern vehicles which saved the day.
The lady by her rash action endangered a lot of road users. I believe she should honestly review her ability to continue driving.

Return to “General Chat”