20 MPH limits

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
fungus

Re: 20 MPH limits

Postby fungus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:29 pm

I am not in favour of blanket 20mph limits. Outside schools the limit could be lowered to 20 around the school run time in the morning and afternoon, then revert to whatever would normally be the appropriate speed limit. In most of the residential roads in the large village where I live, the locals do drive too fast, it's rarely safe to excede 20 due to parked vehicles and poor sight lines. These very same drivers though will be driving well under the posted limit on NSL roads. I came to the conclusion years ago, that most drivers do not know when to drive slow.

Did anyone watch last weeks Countryfile where some quite unbelieveable, or not, footage was shown of motorists and one cyclist passing horse riders? If you did then you will know what I mean.

Nigel.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 am

I honestly don't have a problem with these limits.
They provide a safer environment for all road users and the limits are in common use all over the EU and elsewhere.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:43 pm

sussex2 wrote:I honestly don't have a problem with these limits.
They provide a safer environment for all road users and the limits are in common use all over the EU and elsewhere.

How does a 20 limit prevent a cyclist from undertaking a truck that's turning left?

martine

Postby martine » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:17 pm

That's quite a blanket statement - all 20 limits, all of the time, everywhere they are implemented?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:19 am

martine wrote:

That's quite a blanket statement - all 20 limits, all of the time, everywhere they are implemented?

I take your point and will qualify what I typed.
The 20 limits where they help protect the most vulnerable road users, then yes I agree. Or, if they reduce noise levels in residential areas and aid in the general well being.
I have been of the opinion for some time that we should, in towns, change our view on priorities and allow the most vulnerable proper protection.
Does this help?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:20 am

Silk wrote:

How does a 20 limit prevent a cyclist from undertaking a truck that's turning left?

It doesn't is the short answer.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:13 pm

sussex2 wrote:
martine wrote:

The 20 limits where they help protect the most vulnerable road users, then yes I agree. Or, if they reduce noise levels in residential areas and aid in the general well being.
I have been of the opinion for some time that we should, in towns, change our view on priorities and allow the most vulnerable proper protection.
Does this help?

Yes thanks - I broadly agree but everyone has their limits (pun) as to how widespread a blanket 20 should be. In Bristol there are extensive areas of solid 20 and I believe they are sometimes wrong and probably counterproductive.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Silk wrote:

It doesn't is the short answer.

How about a bus side swiping a cyclist? Does a 20 limit prevent that?

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:44 pm

martine wrote:
sussex2 wrote:
martine wrote:

Does this help?

Yes thanks - I broadly agree but everyone has their limits (pun) as to how widespread a blanket 20 should be. In Bristol there are extensive areas of solid 20 and I believe they are sometimes wrong and probably counterproductive.

Ditto Camden in London

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:03 pm

These limits are here to stay and as I mentioned before are in wide use across the EU and elsewhere.
However there is a difference in the UK in that the reduced limit has not been coupled with increased priority for pedestrians.
In other countries the various Highway Codes have been adapted to include this measure; many of them more than a decade ago so there has been plenty of time to adapt.
In the UK we have not done this so a confusion remains as to who is supposed to do what.

Return to “General Chat”