Mobile phones

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Wheelchap

Re: Mobile phones

Postby Wheelchap » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:54 pm

There is only one answer that would work and that is to scramble all mobile phone signals while the engine is running.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:25 pm

And how, exactly, are you going to achieve that while still allowing all perfectly legal use by passengers and systems like Apple CarPlay that use phone data for navigation etc.

I don't believe that you have thought this through.

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 pm

A nice easy DIY one this - just remove all the plug caps and stick the leads straight on to the spark plugs. Your phone will be scrambled along with the radio and all TV's in the vicinity :D .

Wheelchap

Postby Wheelchap » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:29 pm

That's a very good point Strangely Brown.Perhaps a system could be devised that would scramble signals in the front of the car allowing family to play with phones and games in the back seats, something drastic needs to be done, even Sat-Nav can be a distraction. Technology can come up with most of the answers if the need is great enough and discussions like this no matter how silly can sometimes give someone else an idea.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:05 pm

So what about the passenger in the front seat? Are they not allowed to use their phone? What about the phone in the driver's pocket that is connected to the BT kit? Is that not allowed? What about the phone connected to the cable in the console that allows the phone data to be used for navigation?

I repeat: I don't believe that you have thought this through.

There is a system patented by Apple that allows the phone to determine its location within the car by image analysis and would then disable certain features if found to be in the driver's seat. It was never implemented, and I can quite understand why. And even if it was, that only covers Apple phones and then only if the facility is switched on and used.

The bottom line is that you cannot use technology to fix a human problem.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Wheelchap wrote:something drastic needs to be done,

I hope not. The ultimate solution will be autonomous vehicles. Until then, I am quite happy to continue chatting as I drive.

Wheelchap

Postby Wheelchap » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Then you are part of that human problem, perhaps it should be the phone chatting humans who are banned from the road. can't you get it into your head that your attention is divided using your phone while driving.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Wheelchap wrote:Then you are part of that human problem, perhaps it should be the phone chatting humans who are banned from the road. can't you get it into your head that your attention is divided using your phone while driving.

Without wanting to have the whole thread repeated (may be worth reading it through because these points have been raised)...

Distraction can take many forms, mobiles are one of them... but not the only one.
Legislation can not legislate for every situation, nor can technology solve every situation, nor does any solution satisfy everyone and all play a role in deciding what is right... Equally, you can not get rid of every accident / death... so a balance is needed between safety and allowing life to continue..

No issue with additional points, but I would prefer that the thread doesn't just go around in circles :)

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”