I'm in a bolshy mood.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

I'm in a bolshy mood.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:37 pm

So, how slow are we prepared to drive and also to be considered advanced drivers?

Horse

Re: I'm in a bolshy mood.

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:So, how slow are we prepared to drive and also to be considered advanced drivers?

Definitely slower than when "I'm making progress" becomes self-deluded dangerous driving, 'advanced' driver or not.

HTH :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 pm

as slow / or as fast as is suitable for the situation...
I don't believe it is fully possible to set any figures against that as every road has a fluctuating safety level based on:
- traffic
- weather
- time of day
- my tiredness
- etc.

all regardless of the legal speed limit...
meaning that the safe speed may be below or above the legal limit
and it is up to the driver whether or not to break the law, however as an advanced driver we should never be breaking the safe speed...

the only value you can put on it is that the speed must always be above 0 or we can't be considered drivers of any type!

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

akirk wrote:as slow / or as fast as is suitable for the situation...
I don't believe it is fully possible to set any figures against that as every road has a fluctuating safety level

however as an advanced driver we should never be breaking the safe speed...

the only value you can put on it is . . .

Being realistic, there are situations where a 'theoretical' and honestly a practical maximum can be determined. For example: a blind bend, quickest reaction time + shortest braking distance for the view available (not including any contingency) will determine maximum speed for a specific vehicle driven by a perfect driver who's on top form.

Or range of dipped beam lights? *Everyone* is over-optimistic there!

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Horse wrote:Or range of dipped beam lights? *Everyone* is over-optimistic there!

or even worse range of dipped lights, while blinded by the huge 4x4 lit up like Blackpool illuminations who has just come the opposite way around the corner and not even noticed you there - as happened to me tonight, fortunately I a) was going relatively slowly and b) know the road well...

Alasdair

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:52 pm

I am understanding WhoseGeneration's question differently. I take it to be asking, 'How far below the highest safe legal and smooth speed can we drive, and still be driving as advanced drivers?' So, if we drive at 50 mph on a road where 60 would be safe, legal, smooth, and therefore sympathetic to car and passengers, can that be advanced? What would justify it? (In my case, I cannot imagine doing so unless running low on fuel!).

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:29 am

I may have understood the question but just wanted to continue in the theme of 'pokey pokey' questions :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:25 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:So, how slow are we prepared to drive and also to be considered advanced drivers?

It depends. :D

If on test my personal view is that if it is safe to do so then the posted limit should be achieved. Otherwise how are they being tested? I could easily bimble around a test route being very safe and competent ... but is that advanced (of course that is your question, so NO)?

If out driving / riding for myself, then safe and competent is all that is required, though I find if I become part of the mindless '10-15 below posted' crowd my whole drive/ride gets affected, and not in a good way, so I normally keep the speed/pace/progress up.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

dave51

Postby dave51 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:52 pm

I find that the limiting factors are (not necessarily in the order given):-
1. Speed limit, however nonsensical I perceive it to be.
2. Safety - am I in my comfort zone and can I react adequately to possible hazards?
3. Passenger comfort - I often carry nervous and/or fragile passengers, so avoid hard braking and higher speeds on rough roads for their comfort.

I consider myself to be advanced (IAM 20 years ago), but I do not interpret this as always travelling up to the limit. If someone wants to go faster I'll try to make it as easy as possible for them. Another day it may be me wanting to overtake.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:33 am

dave51 wrote:but I do not interpret this as always travelling up to the limit.

I draw a distinction between being able to and competent at travelling up to the limit for an extended period, and choosing to. So, on a test, I'd expect an associate to demonstrate the former throughout the test even if, at other times, they don't.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”