Paying above list price for a car.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: Paying above list price for a car.

Postby jont- » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 pm

akirk wrote:I can't see why you couldn't have it for 6 months - a year and sell for very little less than paid...

If you're thinking of this, be wary of dealer margins. There will be a big gap between the forecourt sticker price and what you might get offered to sell it back to them.... Unless you're prepared to go through the hassle of a private sale, but how many private buyers are there at £30k+?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:11 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Honestly, don't be daft and please never pay above asking price

Never pay above asking or never pay above list?
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it, and everyone has a different idea of value. I guess in this situation you're paying to jump the queue, there's not a limited supply and you could just wait a year and get one for list?

I did also say that how other people spend their money is up to them ;)

angus

Postby angus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:16 pm

As someone who lives in Essex, the idea of even paying list price for a Ford is strange :confused: :nono:

Discov8

Postby Discov8 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:35 pm

New model with new technology, wait for a 2017 car with initial bugs resolved. I wouldn't want to pay a premium if I had to use long-term finance agreement.

I can't imagine a price premium for very long but should maintain strong residuals like the original Focus RS.........on the other hand if it was a GT then premiums would remain high.

martine

Postby martine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 pm

Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:55 am

angus wrote:As someone who lives in Essex, the idea of even paying list price for a Ford is strange :confused: :nono:

As mentioned by one of the leading actors in that feel good film Victor - Victoria 'I only pay full price for coffee and the metro' :)

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:15 pm

angus wrote:As someone who lives in Essex, the idea of even paying list price for a Ford is strange :confused: :nono:

The idea of paying for a Ford is strange... :D

angus

Postby angus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:40 pm

dvenman wrote:

The idea of paying for a Ford is strange... :D

Fair point...........

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for the range of views. Although an oldun, I like a bit of raw. It's to replace an Impreza Turbowagon, a Classic 1999, bought new at list but chance had led me to a then recently appointed dealer who was given extra allocation so I got it in two months rather than the then nine or more.

I am tending to think I should hang onto the Impreza as it's low mileage and it might appreciate in the coming years.

The only car I'm considering as an alternative, eta, to be clear, to the FocusRS, is the Honda Civic TypeR.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:46 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Thanks for the range of views. Although an oldun, I like a bit of raw. It's to replace an Impreza Turbowagon, a Classic 1999, bought new at list but chance had led me to a then recently appointed dealer who was given extra allocation so I got it in two months rather than the then nine or more.

I am tending to think I should hang onto the Impreza as it's low mileage and it might appreciate in the coming years.

The only car I'm considering as an alternative, eta, to be clear, to the FocusRS, is the Honda Civic TypeR.

The progress from a 99 Impreza to a 2016 Focus RS is enormous. Whether that makes it more enjoyable is another matter.

Return to “General Chat”