What was your first car?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Silk

Re: What was your first car?

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:39 pm

TripleS wrote:http://www.classicandsportscar.ltd.uk/images_catalogue/large/austin-healey-frogeye-sprite_14105.jpg

One of those rare occasions where taking the bus is preferable. :vomit:

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:14 pm

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18524/lot/281/

Only mine was 1965 and with soft top. Bought at two years old and previous owner had fitted negative camber leaf spring to rear suspension. This helped to avoid the dreaded "tuck under" from the rear wheels.
Aah, memories of much more free and fun times.

Eta, this car introduced me to car maintenance and repair. I, previously having been a motorcyclist and, as was the way then, maintaining those motorcycles.
Worst job was a gearbox stripdown to repair a lack of syncromesh on 2nd gear at only 40k miles.
Yup, in the main, things have improved over the decades since.

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:18 pm

!963 Austin A35 van with a hole in the floor, followed by a Morris 1000 Traveller which secumbed to rust, but the ash frame work was in very good condition. This was followed by an 848cc Austin Mini with leaky hydro elastic suspension which I replaced with the old rubber cone type as the rear subframe was rusted and I had new subframes for the cone suspension. I also fitted the gearbox from a BMC 1100 which did away with the magic wand gear stick. I fitted a set of straight cut competition gears in this gear box as by then I was rather fed up with doing gearbox re-builds due to my tendency to wreck gearboxes doing racing gear changes not very well. :oops:

Nigel.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Image

Nice Froggy TripleS :)

Yes, Mike. It got my motoring career off to a very nice start and I enjoyed that era immensely. As far as I'm concerned the motoring scene has steadily deteriorated ever since, and the fact that cars are now 'better' has not prevented that.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:13 am

Silk wrote:
Bumblebee16 wrote:Mine was a Triumph Toledo, similar to this one. I loved it.

Mine was a 1972 Vauxhall Victor FE Estate. I got it in 1982! It was originally white, but resprayed blue by someone unskilled and probably drunk. It was a pile of shite in a constant state of brokendownness. I hate old cars. :vomit:

You tend to get along better with them, and find them more reliable, if you learn to drive. :P

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:16 am

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:http://www.classicandsportscar.ltd.uk/images_catalogue/large/austin-healey-frogeye-sprite_14105.jpg

Aye, it would have been; if you were doing the driving. :lol:

martine

Postby martine » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:31 am

What a little cutie.

What was it like to drive, Triple?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:23 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:

Aye, it would have been; if you were doing the driving. :lol:

The bus or the car?

Discov8

Postby Discov8 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:33 am

Before passing our driving tests my twin brother and I were given a Ford Cortina to practice our mechanical skills. Unfortunately the engine was terminal so we never got to drive the Cortina.
This was replaced by a Transit Minibus with a 1700cc V4 which initially seemed ideal for two mad keen climbers away most weekends camping. Decreasing the number of seats and making more space for gear was the way to go. So two weeks after passing my test several of us went for a week's ice climbing in Glencoe.
The minibus had a dreadful thirst, especially around town so it was replaced with a car I kept for several years and consider it my first car, a Morris Marina Coupe, 1800 cc and twin carbs tastefully (not) painted in black tulip with red vinyl interior.
The cavernous boot swallowed four people's camping and climbing gear for a weekend, in fact for two weeks. With modified suspension, a serious pair of long range driving lights and another set of fog lights the long night drives became fun. My overtaking record was 13 cars in one go on the A5 going to N.Wales and 12 cars on the A303 going sea cliff climbing in Cornwall. Cruising at high 70s was OKish, approx 30mpg and 30,000 miles plus per year.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:05 am

Ford Cortina Mk II 1600 Super - £375 from a work colleague in August 1980

Nick, Dillon and car in either 1980 or 1981. That's matt black paint, not a vinyl roof! :lol:
Nick

Return to “General Chat”