Cruel parenting?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Cruel parenting?

Postby Horse » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Foal has just turned 17, so will be starting on driving lessons soon.

We've just been given a stack of DVSA books and non-DVSA DVDs for Theory and HPT. My intention is that he'll have a good grounding in those before he sits behind a steering wheel. Thoughts?

But today, he's made himself a sarnie for lunch and sat down, flicking around the TV channels and selecting Police Interceptors. So I've stuck Chris Gilbert's DVD on instead :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Bumblebee16

Re: Cruel parenting?

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Not cruel at all.
I used a similar method with both of mine.
They passed their Theory tests without any trouble and on my daughter's first lesson she was told that she should put in for her driving test. She had a few paid for lessons and passed her driving test on her first attempt.
She got loads of driving practice between lessons and on different types of road, as we live in the countryside and she attended college in Brighton. She was fortunate to have me around at the time so that I could supervise her driving to and from college.
I did the same for my son. He too passed first time, but without the same amount of driving practice between lessons because I didn't have the time available when it was his turn.
My two were both happy to watch the learner driving videos and do the online tests.
No children were harmed during the process.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Horse wrote:But today, he's made himself a sarnie for lunch and sat down

Successful parenting methinks - not much wrong there... (did he make you a sarnie as well?!)
Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:27 pm

'He's made himself a sarnie'
So far you've done well - are you thinking of carrying on with doing all the housework and cooking for the family (including washing-up)? Oh! and the washing!
Then he'll make a superb driver because his basic grounding will be almost complete ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:09 pm

:) :) :) @ AK & Sussex :) :) :)

He'll be off to Uni next year, so has a busy year learning various skills ;) One for the next couple of weeks is cooking on the BBQ - so I can lounge around with a beer :) :) :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Quick update: we headed off to Blazingsmoke today and I asked him to tell me, as per the DVD, what he could see? He straight away looked at the furthest things, and told me about the traffic queue just off the roundabout - 200m or so away - and that we'd need to slow down.

We carried on talking about hazards, obs links, etc. He asked "Do you have to do this all the time? " :)

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:35 pm

sounds a good start :) and if he gets it grooved quickly it will become automatic so he won't feel that he has to 'do this' every time...

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 pm

And if he gets too good he'll fail the hazard perception test! :twisted:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:10 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:And if he gets too good he'll fail the hazard perception test! :twisted:

Got that covered :)

One click when it's a hazard, second click for *developing* hazard. :facepalm:

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Hazard perception sounds good for a 17 year old.

I would personally get him driving so that what he reads or sees in the DVDs hopefuly starts to make sense, he might get bored otherwise.

The children of most on this forum are fortunate in as much as they have a parent who is interested in driving/riding and can impart knowledge that joe average couldn't.

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”