Brexit: Good News For Car Enthusiasts?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
ChristianAB

Brexit: Good News For Car Enthusiasts?

Postby ChristianAB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Theresa May just ditched the department for Energy and Climate Change. So maybe we can hope that all those stupid european regulations forcing car manufacturers to dumb down even true sport cars (yes, cayman 718, I'm talking about your engine) might be ditched too!

akirk

Re: Brexit: Good News For Car Enthusiasts?

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Though the Mayor of London has just announced an additional charge for polluting cars, if the reports are correct it will cost me £21.50 to take the z3 into London due to its age, despite that it is small (congestion charge?) and cleaner running than my newer skoda diesel (toxicity charge?) why not just call it a tax against those out of town, maybe the 'we are jealous of those living in the country' tax!

Alasdair

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Yeah, that mayor is likely to be a pain...sigh

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 am

ChristianAB wrote:Theresa May just ditched the department for Energy and Climate Change. So maybe we can hope that all those stupid european regulations forcing car manufacturers to dumb down even true sport cars (yes, cayman 718, I'm talking about your engine) might be ditched too!

I think it is a wholly retrograde step but sadly, fitting the new regime.
The department hasn't gone completely but has been added to another:

'The brief will be folded into an expanded Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy under Greg Clark'

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:59 am

ChristianAB wrote:maybe we can hope that all those stupid european regulations forcing car manufacturers to dumb down even true sport cars

The UNECE regulations are world-wide rather than European.

sussex2 wrote:
ChristianAB wrote:ditched the department for Energy and Climate Change.

'The brief will be folded into an expanded Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy under Greg Clark'

Makes sense in that we currently don't seem to have allowances for heavy users of power for manufacturing, unlike Germany, should allow more joined-up planning, may help, for example, the UK steel industry.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”