What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
akirk

Re: What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Postby akirk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 pm

Gareth wrote:Most people don't like driving and own cars for convenience and/or status. If it becomes more convenient to rent for a short journey, the incentive to own will become the province of those with larger disposable incomes. I can imagine that, possibly, hiring could end up cheaper than owning.

you are right - but that convenience is a reason why so many would not want to not own...
If I think of those living around here I suspect that the vast majority would not want this opportunity of not owning a car and renting when needed - just too inconvenient...

but move into a major city and I would expect to see a different statistic, though many will still prefer to own than have the hassles otherwise...
I know lots of people who live in London who would be better off financially in not owning, but hiring or using taxis or even a driver & car... but they still prefer the independence of owning their own car(s)

Alasdair

gannet

Postby gannet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:53 pm

akirk wrote:
Gareth wrote:Most people don't like driving and own cars for convenience and/or status. If it becomes more convenient to rent for a short journey, the incentive to own will become the province of those with larger disposable incomes. I can imagine that, possibly, hiring could end up cheaper than owning.

you are right - but that convenience is a reason why so many would not want to not own...
If I think of those living around here I suspect that the vast majority would not want this opportunity of not owning a car and renting when needed - just too inconvenient...

but move into a major city and I would expect to see a different statistic, though many will still prefer to own than have the hassles otherwise...
I know lots of people who live in London who would be better off financially in not owning, but hiring or using taxis or even a driver & car... but they still prefer the independence of owning their own car(s)

Alasdair

yet I know also know many people who live and/or work in London/inside the M25 who see no reason to learn to drive let alone own cars...

One of my colleagues sold his car when he moved to London - in his words - no need...

Another colleague (and one who's just left) only ever got a provisional license...

none of those without cars understands why I travel (by car) for quite sometime and distance to simply drive all weekend and then drive back! :gear:

In fact - quick stats in my company (of 7 people)... 4 own cars, 2 with no license and only 2 who drive regularly/commute by car (and I'm not among that 2 :bike: )...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Horse wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/worlds-first-self-driving-taxis-debut-in-singapore/ar-BBw1znK

An Associated Press reporter taking a ride Wednesday observed that the safety driver had to step on the brakes once, when a car was obstructing the test car's lane and another vehicle, which appeared to be parked, suddenly began moving in the oncoming lane.

good thing it has a driver then ;)

:racing:

Alasdair

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:14 pm

akirk wrote:
Horse wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/worlds-first-self-driving-taxis-debut-in-singapore/ar-BBw1znK

An Associated Press reporter taking a ride Wednesday observed that the safety driver had to step on the brakes once, when a car was obstructing the test car's lane and another vehicle, which appeared to be parked, suddenly began moving in the oncoming lane.

good thing it has a driver then ;)

:racing:

Alasdair

Oh dear, not enough variables programmed into this.

Return to “General Chat”