What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 am

I believe it is good to try these devices out but always when alone in the car.
My experience is that very few people are aware of how to use them, that includes ABS brakes.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:49 am

sussex2 wrote:I believe it is good to try these devices out but always when alone in the car.
My experience is that very few people are aware of how to use them, that includes ABS brakes.

Any of the ADIs here able to tell how DVSA have altered their test criteria to suit ABS? As Astraist posted recently (and, AFAIK he's correct) best practice e-braking with ABS is to declutch.

How does that square with the old 'if it locks, release and reapply, and delutch just before stopping' principles?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:19 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I believe it is good to try these devices out but always when alone in the car.

Any of the ADIs here able to tell how DVSA have altered their test criteria to suit ABS? As Astraist posted recently (and, AFAIK he's correct) best practice e-braking with ABS is to declutch.

How does that square with the old 'if it locks, release and reapply, and delutch just before stopping' principles?

I earnestly believe that we are still at the stage of an awful lot of people releasing the brake pedal as soon as it starts to pulse. I was informed recently by an 'experienced' driver that this is what you are supposed to do!

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:52 am

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:

I earnestly believe that we are still at the stage of an awful lot of people releasing the brake pedal as soon as it starts to pulse. I was informed recently by an 'experienced' driver that this is what you are supposed to do!

I was lent a DVD about driving skills*, IIRC it included a demo of threshold braking instead of allowing the ABS to operate. If that was the case, fine for an expert driver who is prepared to brake and on a known good surface . . .

* Driver Training DVD 'Bending The Rules' with Andrew Walsh
H's review: Don't bother :) TBH I didn't watch it all, my will to live was travelling away faster than he was . . . ;)

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:53 am

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:

This is why cars now have emergency brake assist (so if you hit them suddenly, then lift off because the ABS has activated my understanding is this keeps the brakes applied even if you let go of the pedal - I'm not sure at what point the brakes then release? Maybe when you stop, or kick the throttle?)

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 am

Horse wrote:I was lent a DVD about driving skills*, IIRC it included a demo of threshold braking instead of allowing the ABS to operate. If that was the case, fine for an expert driver who is prepared to brake and on a known good surface . . .

IIRC Stressed Dave can demonstrate the difference in stopping distance between braking with ABS with hands on and off the steering wheel (if your hands are on the wheel, you'll tend to provide some steering input as the grip at different wheels varies slightly, so the car can't quite brake at its limit as it's also trying to allow you to steer. If you stay hands off the wheel, a yaw sensor keeps the car straight). I tried this on split-u grip at Porsche silverstone - emergency stop with 2 wheels on tarmac, 2 on "ice", hands off the wheel, and it's really /deep black magic/.
(similarly I tried driving over the kick plate hands off the wheels, and with a tiny bit of throttle applied the car is pulled straight with barely a twitch).

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:32 am

Blimey!

I had a post deleted by the moderator of one safety-related site after having the temerity suggest letting go of the wheel in a situation where the airbag is about to go off [to avoid the 'arms crossed over the airbag' issue]

Although that had been suggested by a World expert on airbags, it wasn't documented anywhere as good safety advice, apparently . . .

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:56 am

Horse wrote:Blimey!

I had a post deleted by the moderator of one safety-related site after having the temerity suggest letting go of the wheel in a situation where the airbag is about to go off [to avoid the 'arms crossed over the airbag' issue]

Although that had been suggested by a World expert on airbags, it wasn't documented anywhere as good safety advice, apparently . . .

:lol: obviously if you need to steer, it's a bad idea to let go of the wheel. I wanted the opportunity to have a play in a safe environment and see exactly what the electronics did in a range of situations, and was quite pleasantly surprised (2007 Renaultsport Clio).

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 am

If the airbag is about to go off, steering won't help much ;)

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:18 am

Meanwhile, w.r.t the original question ;) NS recently had this https://www.newscientist.com/article/2098277-ai-needs-oversight-time-to-set-standards-for-autonomous-tech/.

Although how to define which AI needs oversight, when we are approaching "the internet of everything" is not addressed. Presumably they mean AI that is designed to (move and?) interact in some potentially damaging fashion, rather than something that learns how you like your tea.

Return to “General Chat”