What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
gannet

Re: What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Postby gannet » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Horse wrote:Could you explain how taht situation developed etc.? Especially if history repeated itself, could it have been avoided?

And out of how many occasions when ABS has triggered, for many people, how often do 'bad' situations occur?

Some people don't 'like' ABS because of their beliefs of how it is triggered and what happens when it does - e.g. the vehicle 'speeding up' fear, which I think was mentioned on ADUK some time ago.

I will try...

Came off a roundabout onto a three lane road with the middle lane marked for use by opposing traffic but broken whites so I could also use it. As it was clear and I was following cars who had been travelling slower than I had (can't remember exact speeds), I used the lane to pass one of the vehicles and stayed out intending to go past the second, at which point an opposing car appeared around the bend at the bottom of the hill in what was to him the outside lane wanting to overtake someone on his inside...

I decided to abort the second overtake and pull in behind which involved heavy braking while pulling the car over to the left. Manoeuvre complete I was quite startled to find myself back out in the middle lane and so had to perform it over again :shock: mrs gannet by this point was somewhat confused & worried also...

I am quite sure I didn't apply any right hand steering lock and the road itself was straight, ABS did not trigger at all...

So what caused it?! I can only assume the stability control thought I was in trouble and really wanted to be in the middle lane, so did what it could to put me back there... er no thanks... I've been dubious about these systems ever since.

In hindsight I should've just kept my foot in and completed the second overtake, there probably would have been room...

Car was a 2003 registered Peugeot 206 GTi.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 am

Seems as an appropriate thread as any - if you've got a good business idea related to autonomous driving, the government has opened a consultation and maybe some funding:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -in-the-uk
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/12 ... d_d_funds/

/edit to add
Typical government doesn't seem to understand it's own language
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... d_avts.pdf
Section 3.8
"The technology would enable the driver to drive without their hands on the steering wheel for substantial periods of time, but arguably this Rule would prohibit this." (refers to HC rule 160: "Once moving, you should drive with both hands on the wheel where possible. This will help you to remain in full control of the vehicle at all times ").

That says should, not must. No requirement there at all :roll:

What hope is there where the people doing these studies can't even read and understand their own language :bash:

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:54 am

gannet wrote:I decided to abort the second overtake and pull in behind which involved heavy braking while pulling the car over to the left. Manoeuvre complete I was quite startled to find myself back out in the middle lane and so had to perform it over again :shock: mrs gannet by this point was somewhat confused & worried also...

I am quite sure I didn't apply any right hand steering lock and the road itself was straight, ABS did not trigger at all...

So what caused it?! I can only assume the stability control thought I was in trouble and really wanted to be in the middle lane, so did what it could to put me back there... er no thanks...

Doesn't sound like something an ESP system would either try to do or actually do. Have you played with it on a proving ground?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 am

When they can all do this I'll know we are getting somewhere with these things:

http://newsthump.com/2016/07/17/google- ... d-gesture/

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am

sussex2 wrote:When they can all do this I'll know we are getting somewhere with these things:

Will BMW start fitting their autonomous cars with indicators? :twisted:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:06 pm

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:When they can all do this I'll know we are getting somewhere with these things:

Will BMW start fitting their autonomous cars with indicators? :twisted:

Nah! 'cause they'll only ever be in a particular lane or in the car park at Waitrose ;)

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:42 pm

waremark wrote:
gannet wrote:I decided to abort the second overtake and pull in behind which involved heavy braking while pulling the car over to the left. Manoeuvre complete I was quite startled to find myself back out in the middle lane and so had to perform it over again :shock: mrs gannet by this point was somewhat confused & worried also...

So what caused it?! I can only assume the stability control thought I was in trouble and really wanted to be in the middle lane, so did what it could to put me back there... er no thanks...

Doesn't sound like something an ESP system would either try to do or actually do. Have you played with it on a proving ground?

I've not experienced anything similar either in that car or those since.

No I didn't play with it on a proving ground either.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:12 pm

You must have steered some without realising it. It happens. A lot.

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Astraist wrote:You must have steered some without realising it. It happens. A lot.

it would've had to be quite a lot more than 'some' IMO.

It is possible I over straightened but I doubt it would've been enough to do the lane change again in the opposite direction.

with hindsight I should've just completely the overtake instead of bottling it....

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:39 pm

ESP and associated stuff, such as "E diffs". The shopping car, Micra 160SR, so hardly lots of power, has these systems and a couple of times I've had such as gannet describes.

Both times involved power on over white lines, leading to what I would describe as a "shimmy" where the direction was not quite what my steering wheel position would have dictated.

I suspect these systems can't always cope but, in the main, are better there than not.

It's, presumably, down to those who calibrate these systems and how much time they get to test potential situations.

Stressed Dave would probably be better able to comment.

Return to “General Chat”