What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:48 am

Could you explain how taht situation developed etc.? Especially if history repeated itself, could it have been avoided?

And out of how many occasions when ABS has triggered, for many people, how often do 'bad' situations occur?

Some people don't 'like' ABS because of their beliefs of how it is triggered and what happens when it does - e.g. the vehicle 'speeding up' fear, which I think was mentioned on ADUK some time ago.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:24 pm

devonutopia wrote:I think nothing replaces the "knack" of the observation skills of an advanced driver. I like to believe there is almost a degree of 6th sense involved (I guess this is more a negative form of expectation of the worst) and doubt a computer could replicate that.

The one thing I guess a computer will do is remove the human nature of making errors and misjudgements.

Having spent some time driving around the lanes of Devon how on earth an autonomous car would deal with them I don't know; could such a vehicle realise that fresh horse droppings on the road indicate the close proximity of the beast?
These cars may be fine on wide roads built on the block system but elsewhere?

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:28 pm

sussex2 wrote:
devonutopia wrote:I think nothing replaces the "knack" of the observation skills of an advanced driver. I like to believe there is almost a degree of 6th sense involved (I guess this is more a negative form of expectation of the worst) and doubt a computer could replicate that.

Having spent some time driving around the lanes of Devon how on earth an autonomous car would deal with them I don't know; could such a vehicle realise that fresh horse droppings on the road indicate the close proximity of the beast?
These cars may be fine on wide roads built on the block system but elsewhere?

However, if it drives based on the clear stopping distance it can 'see', allowing for oncoming traffic, is that any different from what we do?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Horse wrote:I think there's a possibility that we'll see fully autonomous vehicles in my [driving ;) ] lifetime.

But . . . there's already a huge amount of assistive technology already in use. On a scale of awful to advanced, perhaps the self-parking systems are 'advanced'? And how about ABS & ESC? They can consistently and reliably out-peform most drivers, is that 'advanced'?

At present I honestly think that many drivers fight against these systems. Why? because the old adages they've been taught but never practised come into play.
I've fallen for it myself with a patch of diesel on a bend. If I had left the car alone it would (probably) have prevented me facing the wrong way on a blind corner.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:35 pm

'Manhole' covers are a common downfall for bikers. But I'd guess that more riders have crashed 'on' manhole covers from thrying [badly] to swerve (and so catching them at an angle) or by panic-braking (so locking up the front and crashing), or target-fixating on them (and collising when they might easily have ridden by), or tensing up on the 'bars so the bike can't sort it'self out.

Sometimes the worst thing ever for bike stability is someone clinging on trying to ride it . . .

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Horse wrote:'Manhole' covers are a common downfall for bikers. But I'd guess that more riders have crashed 'on' manhole covers from thrying [badly] to swerve (and so catching them at an angle) or by panic-braking (so locking up the front and crashing), or target-fixating on them (and collising when they might easily have ridden by), or tensing up on the 'bars so the bike can't sort it'self out.

Sometimes the worst thing ever for bike stability is someone clinging on trying to ride it . . .

What's the autonomous equivalent of "letting go of the steering wheel"?

Of course if they get the basic programming right, can you argue that actually they won't need abs/stability control/traction control etc?

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:11 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:'Manhole' covers are a common downfall for bikers. But I'd guess that more riders have crashed 'on' manhole covers from thrying [badly] to swerve (and so catching them at an angle) or by panic-braking (so locking up the front and crashing), or target-fixating on them (and collising when they might easily have ridden by), or tensing up on the 'bars so the bike can't sort it'self out.

What's the autonomous equivalent of "letting go of the steering wheel"?

Of course if they get the basic programming right, can you argue that actually they won't need abs/stability control/traction control etc?

About 8 or 10 years ago I can remember someone suggesting on-board systems in cars which would 'look' forward to assess road surfaces for grip levels. The technology may not have existed then, and may not now (in a size and cost suitable for cars), but a laser-based detector or somesuch might not be impossible, identifying the surface texture and any 'coating' (water, oil) to give an indicative figure from which to deduce the available stopping power. The ABS/ESC etc would be a back-up.
Last edited by Horse on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Horse wrote:... someone clinging on trying to ride it . . .

That sounds like my very limited experience of motorcycling. Not something I wish to repeat, that's for damn sure. :shock:

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Silk wrote:
Horse wrote:... someone clinging on trying to ride it . . .

That sounds like my very limited experience of motorcycling. Not something I wish to repeat, that's for damn sure. :shock:

It's been suggested that a paradox of rider training is that, potentially, trainers encourage people to continue riding who might otherwise have 'self-selected' to give up. But, potentially, those encouraged to continue may not really be good enough, so suffer as a result . . .

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Didn't the Northern Constabulary abandon skid pan training after a series of crashes where the conventional methods of skid control employed by the drivers confused the system?

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”