What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
devonutopia

Re: What would an "advanced driver" autonomous car do...?

Postby devonutopia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm

I think nothing replaces the "knack" of the observation skills of an advanced driver. I like to believe there is almost a degree of 6th sense involved (I guess this is more a negative form of expectation of the worst) and doubt a computer could replicate that.

The one thing I guess a computer will do is remove the human nature of making errors and misjudgements.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:44 pm

devonutopia wrote:I think nothing replaces the "knack" of the observation skills of an advanced driver. I like to believe there is almost a degree of 6th sense involved (I guess this is more a negative form of expectation of the worst) and doubt a computer could replicate that.

The one thing I guess a computer will do is remove the human nature of making errors and misjudgements.

But 'spidey sense' is based on something. If that can be identified, then it can quantified, then it can be searched for.

Now, whether that coule ever be done in the degree of detail necessary, I don't know. One classic example is 'whisps of straw on the country road = lorry with bales within the last few minutes'.

But, all that gives you is some preparedness, expectation. No more.

You still have to negotiate the next blind bend as if the lorry is - or anything else - is there. So you must still plan for the unknown, based on what cane be seen. If it's argued that "Ah, well, seeing the straw on the road then I'll go slower into the bend, so I don't have to brake so hard if it's there" - then perhaps you might have been going too fast otherwise . . . ?

Of course, the autonomous system won't be doing a mirror or speedo check at an unfortunate time, it won't sneeze, etc.

Software might crash though . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Another thought allied to this: think about how satnavs can be used (abused?) for planning ahead.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Horse wrote:One classic example is 'whisps of straw on the country road = lorry with bales within the last few minutes'.

I saw that once and thought the same as you...
came around the corner behind a rather large horse still munching its lunch as it was being ridden!

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:44 pm

I had a trainee ride past a large stables, preceded by the triangular 'horses' warning sign, followed by horse . . . [insert your selected alternative to dung here] . . .

Did he slow down? Nope. Amazingly, after all that - no horses on the road! :) :) :)

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Sorta simple. Drone technology is coming on in leaps and bounds, so, a drone preceding every autonomous vehicle

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:57 pm

With the drone flying a red flag?

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Horse wrote:With the drone flying a red flag?

Nah, it'd be green, all clear.
Come on, we just don't know where this technology will lead us.
Me, I suspect to ever more conflict.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:56 pm

I think there's a possibility that we'll see fully autonomous vehicles in my [driving ;) ] lifetime.

But . . . there's already a huge amount of assistive technology already in use. On a scale of awful to advanced, perhaps the self-parking systems are 'advanced'? And how about ABS & ESC? They can consistently and reliably out-peform most drivers, is that 'advanced'?

gannet

Postby gannet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:48 am

Horse wrote: And how about ABS & ESC? They can consistently and reliably out-peform most drivers, is that 'advanced'?

only if they do what the driver intends... I've had a situation which I had under complete control where the system intervened which could of turned very nasty very quickly... what was it - emergency lane change under heavy braking going downhill...

had to do it twice :shock:

Return to “General Chat”