Let the games begin ....

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Re: Let the games begin ....

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:10 am

akirk wrote:I think it is about dealing with symptoms rather than the root cause...
So if someone has cancer you give them aspirin to deal with the headaches, but not as the solution, as pallative care, still dealing with the cancer...

So, here, yes it makes sense to design around the needs of the elderly, but not as the solution, only when doing so gives additional benefits without negatives... If though in doing so you are simply covering up a greater issue (drivers who are not driving at an acceptable level) then that is like giving a cancer patient an aspirin and pretending that there is nothing wrong with them because the symptoms have been dealt with...

If there is an issue that those in one section of the driving population are finding it difficult to cope with our roads, is the answer really to change the roads, or to deal with the underlying issue of that demographic? If there are changes which can be made which have no negative side-effects then by all means make those changes, and if that fixes the issue then the patient simply had a headache and the aspirin worked, but if there is a deeper underlying problem of an aging population no longer able to fully cope with driving to the expected standard, then it is a deeper issue which needs tackling...

We live in a society where politicians and commerce drive the country based on c. 5 year cycles which favour short-term symptom management rather than long-term fixing of the underlying issues...

Alasdair

I see your symptoms and raise you standard variation.

I sometimes fear that as so called 'advanced motorists', we see driving as a straight line measure. Those on our side of the line = good. Those on the other side of the line = bad. Your comments about the 'underlying issues' of the ageing population seem to support that view. I see the skill and competence as much more as a bell curve (or a hill). Those on the extreme left and right are barely competent for different reasons. Those in the middle are highly competent. So competent drivers range all the way from just inside the left to just inside the right.

Road design and layout can and should encompass everyone in that section. Yes, that might mean compromises and 'advanced motorists' might have to accommodate drivers not as competent as themselves. But thinking and acting otherwise simply reinforces the low impression that some people already have of advanced motorists.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 am

Not sure that we can quantify it as either shape...
however it doesn't matter - I think my principle still makes sense:
- if you can improve for a sub-section of the population without affecting the majority, then you do so...
- if there is an issue with the sub-section of the population you deal with the underlying issue, you don't slap on sticking plasters to cover it up...

not really an AD discussion - more of a general principle I think

Alasdair

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:47 am

akirk wrote:Not sure that we can quantify it as either shape...
- if you can improve for a sub-section of the population without affecting the majority, then you do so...
- if there is an issue with the sub-section of the population you deal with the underlying issue, you don't slap on sticking plasters to cover it up...

Alasdair

We can definitely quantify it as a general bell curve, but the exact shape is obviously dependent. It may be skewed, it may not even be 'normal' but its nearer a bell curve than a straight line.

Who says that you only improve for a sub-section of the population if it can be done so without affecting the majority? I know that you obviously say that, as will some others, I'm just wondering when it became the rule. Who says your rule is the right one, or the commonly accepted general principle? Presumably you don't want the majority to pay taxes to support the minority who may genuinely need welfare?

Here's an alternative - there's a group of drivers, and the skill level is mixed, even though all are deemed competent to drive. A small percentage of that group would be better served by a change in road design, and even though others will be 'affected', it is still worth considering.

Perhaps if we were a bit more humanist, and a bit less elitist, everything would be that bit more pleasant.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Rolyan wrote:Here's an alternative - there's a group of drivers, and the skill level is mixed, even though all are deemed competent to drive. A small percentage of that group would be better served by a change in road design, and even though others will be 'affected', it is still worth considering.

It's not a 0 cost exercise. I'd rather our roads were in a state fit for purpose before we started mucking them around any further (see also speed limit changes, new signage etc etc etc) :soap:

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:03 pm

jont- wrote:
Rolyan wrote:Here's an alternative - there's a group of drivers, and the skill level is mixed, even though all are deemed competent to drive. A small percentage of that group would be better served by a change in road design, and even though others will be 'affected', it is still worth considering.

It's not a 0 cost exercise. I'd rather our roads were in a state fit for purpose before we started mucking them around any further (see also speed limit changes, new signage etc etc etc) :soap:

I agree, but I'm not sure how your comments relate to the quote you've given.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Rolyan wrote:

Alasdair

We can definitely quantify it as a general bell curve, but the exact shape is obviously dependent. It may be skewed, it may not even be 'normal' but its nearer a bell curve than a straight line.

Who says that you only improve for a sub-section of the population if it can be done so without affecting the majority? I know that you obviously say that, as will some others, I'm just wondering when it became the rule. Who says your rule is the right one, or the commonly accepted general principle? Presumably you don't want the majority to pay taxes to support the minority who may genuinely need welfare?

Here's an alternative - there's a group of drivers, and the skill level is mixed, even though all are deemed competent to drive. A small percentage of that group would be better served by a change in road design, and even though others will be 'affected', it is still worth considering.

Perhaps if we were a bit more humanist, and a bit less elitist, everything would be that bit more pleasant.

I think the same pattern is repeating itself - you are massively misunderstanding something because it is written and not spoken - and pulling out all sorts of assumptions from that...

It is democracy - you don't improve one small sub-section of society if the detriment to the majority of society outweighs it...
At no point have I said that you don't make improvements if only a small sub-section enjoy those improvements - it is about balancing that against its impact elsewhere... understanding those improvements in the context of the full demographic using the roads...

And a desire to deal with the underlying issues (rather than the symptoms for political expediency) is totally humanitarian - and the correct action... we live in a world of sound-bites and quick 'fixes' which are all about appearance not substance - as with this, someone suggests that there is an issue for a % of society in dealing with t-junctions, the response is mini roundabouts, rather than the trickier and yet more long term solution of understanding why that population demographic has difficulties, understanding how the population is changing, and then looking at how we address driving across the population to deal with a changing demographic...

I totally fail to understand where you feel any of that is elitist - it is pragmatic, logical and long-term / thoughtful - however it could also be painful, expensive, and politically sensitive... but at no point is it in any way elitist!

Alasdair

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:24 pm

akirk wrote:
Rolyan wrote:

Alasdair

I think the same pattern is repeating itself - you are massively misunderstanding something because it is written and not spoken - and pulling out all sorts of assumptions from that...

It is democracy - you don't improve one small sub-section of society if the detriment to the majority of society outweighs it...
At no point have I said that you don't make improvements if only a small sub-section enjoy those improvements - it is about balancing that against its impact elsewhere... understanding those improvements in the context of the full demographic using the roads...

And a desire to deal with the underlying issues (rather than the symptoms for political expediency) is totally humanitarian - and the correct action... we live in a world of sound-bites and quick 'fixes' which are all about appearance not substance - as with this, someone suggests that there is an issue for a % of society in dealing with t-junctions, the response is mini roundabouts, rather than the trickier and yet more long term solution of understanding why that population demographic has difficulties, understanding how the population is changing, and then looking at how we address driving across the population to deal with a changing demographic...

I totally fail to understand where you feel any of that is elitist - it is pragmatic, logical and long-term / thoughtful - however it could also be painful, expensive, and politically sensitive... but at no point is it in any way elitist!

Alasdair

I always try and be polite and fair, and I find your first paragraph rather dismissive.

You said that you shouldn't deal with it if it 'affects' the majority, I questioned that, and you now change it to the 'detriment' of the majority.

You are as guilty of assumptions the same as I, yet I honestly thought this was a forum to debate these issues. I didn't realise that if I disagreed with you, you would be so dismissive. God forbid that I may have a different opinion, according to you it's just that I don't understand.

The populist papers have no doubt got the reactions they wanted, but it's disappointing to see them here. Clearly, you are convinced that I am wrong and don't understand and you are not prepared to even entertain an alternative. That's a shame really. All I wanted to explore was this idea that in a group of motorists there may be many who are competent but not at your level, and I would like to see road design take them into account, without this assumption that they have failings or issues. I know all about treating the symptoms (perhaps more than you, although I don't know your employment). My point was that we can't start off by assuming that all these drivers are wrong, or have a problem. They may just be at a different level to you/us.

You could have disagreed without being so dismissive, but hey ho! Because of my background I've always been involved in debates that explore all options, sometimes at a highly philosophical level; perhaps I've become blinded with that approach, as I feel that sometimes these forums are much more about 'this is my opinion and that's it' rather than 'have we considered this'. I've spent decades working with people and challenging them to understand that everything we know for certain, all your facts, all your obvious points, all your definitions, all your comments about democracy etc., are nothing more than just your opinion. No facts, no hard truths and no universal and obvious laws. Just an opinion that can and should be questioned. Perhaps that approach is not suitable for a driving forum where there can be 20 pages about steering!

My bad!

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:11 pm

I am sorry you take it like that - as I said, a misunderstanding on how something is being written...

Back to my original comments - my point I believe still stands - you shouldn't be dealing with symptoms, rather you should deal with the root cause - and you don't 'fix' issues for a sub-section of the population if that then has knock-on effects for a larger demographic - that isn't democracy even if that is the way we are going! Just because a group shouts louder / makes more headline inches, doesn't make their 'cause' more valuable - democracy is about managing the whole population, not one sub-set...

If you are correct that this sub-section of the population is competent (but not at my / our level) then there is no issue - if they are competent, then there is no need to make any changes of this type... they will cope with what we have which tends to be well-thought out...

This is not about a group of the population not being Advanced Drivers - in fact this has nothing to do with AD at all... It is a suggestion that one demographic is going below the standards / coping levels we expect as the baseline for any drivers... and the suggestion that we should alter our roads to deal with the symptoms rather than tackling the issue of whether that demographic needs help driving, or even whether it should therefore be driving... i.e. dealing with symptoms not the underlying malady...

I also very clearly said that there could be no issue in adapting to meet needs if such adaptions don't affect others... however there seems to be a suggestion here that adaption is needed without considering the impact on others and that is clearly not ideal...

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:29 pm

I can't see anything wrong with Alasdair's posts.

The way his posts are coming across to me is this:
- Old people are having problems with t-junctions.
- Knee-jerk reaction is to suggest mini roundabouts, when actually they may be more of a hazard for the average motorists.
- Best solution would be to do some research into why elderly drivers have issues with t-junctions and suggest solutions which will make negotiating them easier for elderly motorists whilst not really increasing the hazard levels for other motorists.

That is the same as the whole welfare system, the average worker pays a bit of money to support those who really need it. If it increased our tax bills by like £900 a month, it wouldn't be feasible, but it only increases the average tax bill by like £3 or £4 a month probably, so it doesn't really impact on the average tax-payer whilst also improving the general quality of life for a small minority.

That's what Alasdair is saying, we shouldn't redesign the road system to make life a bit easier for elderly drivers when it would make the roads more hazardous for the average motorist.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes, I know what Alisdaire is saying. He knows what I'm saying. We happen to disagree.

P.S. If mini roundabouts make the roads more hazardous for the average motorist, perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Return to “General Chat”