Let the games begin ....

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Let the games begin ....

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Rolyan, you write very eloquent posts, even if the impression is often that you want debate for debate's sake, rather than just having an honest opinion about anything.

However do you not think it discourteous to spell your interlocutor's name wrong so consistently, even when he signs off clearly at the end of his posts? The cynic might even wonder if you're doing it deliberately to annoy ...

Alasdair's name is spelt "Alasdair", just as mine is spelt "MrPedanticGrammarNaziWhoGetsAnnoyedAboutConsistentSpellingAndGrammarErrors" ;)
Nick

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:35 pm

Gareth wrote:
Triquet wrote:One of the perverse things is that you need have only one eye as long as it can read a number plate. IMHO binocular vision is essential for driving.

Yes, absolutely right. Fortunately I don't drive.

My first advanced driving mentor had only partial sight in one eye - it's now somewhat worse. That didn't stop him being very competent indeed and driving to the highest standard.
Just under a fortnight ago I had a day out with another gentleman with almost no vision in one eye. His driving is substantially better than mine, and he's only just given up rallying. He's not quite 70, but not far off.
Then this weekend I have been driving with another individual with no vision at all in one eye. His driving is of a standard very few of us could hope to attain, he holds a Police advanced certificate, teaches limit handling skills on circuit, and is an inspiration to many of us who are privileged to share a car with him.
I would trust myself in a car with any of these under very testing circumstances.

(and all that without mentioning Gareth :D)

Binocular vision only applies with nearby objects. Once you're looking out of the car, you're no longer using it.
Nick

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Rolyan, you write very eloquent posts, even if the impression is often that you want debate for debate's sake, rather than just having an honest opinion about anything.

However do you not think it discourteous to spell your interlocutor's name wrong so consistently, even when he signs off clearly at the end of his posts? The cynic might even wonder if you're doing it deliberately to annoy ...

Alasdair's name is spelt "Alasdair", just as mine is spelt "MrPedanticGrammarNaziWhoGetsAnnoyedAboutConsistentSpellingAndGrammarErrors" ;)

A simple error for which I apologise. Your comments about the possible reason may be interpreted by some as saying more about you than about me. I can only hope that Alasdair is as quick to understand as I was with those who have inadvertently written my name incorrectly.

I've given my honest opinion, and those I've given on here are held genuinely and without ulterior motive. I'm disappointed that Alasdair appears to dismiss them so readily, but I admit to enjoying the debating process. However, the debate is not the raison d'etre, rather a means to an end.

I'm becoming more aware each day that many fail to share my enjoyment. Unfortunately, I may not be able to change: "This above all: to thine own self be true".

superplum

Postby superplum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Rolyan wrote: P.S. If mini roundabouts make the roads more hazardous for the average motorist, perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Roads are not hazardous but incompetent drivers are and, FWIW, incompetence is not age related.
:roll:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Rolyan wrote:I admit to enjoying the debating process. [...] I'm becoming more aware each day that many fail to share my enjoyment. Unfortunately, I may not be able to change: "This above all: to thine own self be true".

It might help to consider whether your words serve their intended purpose before posting. For example, have they assumed a narrow or wide interpretation of your interlocutor's comments? Are they likely to develop greater shared understanding or might they shut down debate?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:23 pm

superplum wrote:
Rolyan wrote: P.S. If mini roundabouts make the roads more hazardous for the average motorist, perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Roads are not hazardous but incompetent drivers are and, FWIW, incompetence is not age related.

Hear hear.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:27 pm

superplum wrote:

100% agree and hear hear from here.

I'm not sure where you think I've suggested it is.
Last edited by Rolyan on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Gareth wrote:
Rolyan wrote:I admit to enjoying the debating process. [...] I'm becoming more aware each day that many fail to share my enjoyment. Unfortunately, I may not be able to change: "This above all: to thine own self be true".

It might help to consider whether your words serve their intended purpose before posting. For example, have they assumed a narrow or wide interpretation of your interlocutor's comments? Are they likely to develop greater shared understanding or might they shut down debate?

I don't see my words that way. However, would it be fair to suggest that others should also consider if they have assumed a narrow or wide interpretation of my comments.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Rolyan wrote:I don't see my words that way. However, would it be fair to suggest that others should also consider if they have assumed a narrow or wide interpretation of my comments.

It seems strange to me, given your profession requires an ability to communicate clearly and without misunderstanding, that others repeatedly form a different impression from that which (I assume) you intended. I find it funny-peculiar because a colleague seems to have exactly the same problem; what he writes makes clear sense to him but to others it may as well be an unlearned foreign language so far as conveying meaningful content is concerned, even though he writes using English words, and is very clever.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:25 pm

I definitely use English words, but do not claim to be clever. But I fully accept that others may not get the message as intended. It's perfectly clear in my head, so obviously everyone else is to blame! My role depends on spoken communication, which seems to work well; written documents tend to be data driven executive summaries.

I can assure you that I do not post or write anything simply to be annoying, despite what the grammar Nazi Mr Chumley-warnah would have you believe!

Let's face it, if that was my intention I would be involved with the disgraceful, divisive and dismissive reporting currently being undertaken by the middle class establishment media, who are more than prepared to see lives destroyed and economies ruined as long as they can extend this hateful anti Leave propaganda, based on lies, omissions and selective reporting.

It's deeply disturbing and puts any differences on here into perspective, although I do think that others have assumed the same narrow interpretation of my comments as they have accused me of.

Return to “General Chat”