40 mph ... Why?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
User avatar
StressedDave
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:27 am

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby StressedDave » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 pm

As there's no body language permissible on a forum, I find it wholly appropriate to assume whoever posts on it is an ass as I find that saves time. #decideifImeanttoputasmileyonthispostornot
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Triquet
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby Triquet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:03 pm

:drinking: Generally speaking thread drift sets in round about Page 5 ....

WhoseGeneration
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm

sussex2 wrote:As you say if they have a licence and can exhibit reasonable care, then that's it.


Oh, the "reasonable care" that means they very often drive so close to other vehicles such that overtakes are not possible.
Now, the HC on that?

User avatar
ChristianAB
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Rolyan wrote:
ChristianAB wrote:
Rolyan wrote:Hey ho, that ladder of inference is a tall one, and difficult for us to descend whilst wearing these filters!


No, I haven't 'decided' anything. remember, I said that I am yet to see or hear anything that would make me think otherwise. It's a theory of mine that has not been proven wrong so far (scientific method).

The ladder of inference and those pesky filters explain perfectly well why most people's theories and strongly held beliefs are rarely proved wrong.

I was merely suggesting that I am not prepared to lump all drivers who drive in the way described as a) disengaged from reality and not knowing their own speed or the speed limit (Alisdair) or b) Zombies (you).

I'm sure that some are, but not all. So if you are serious about your 'scientific method', and would genuinely like to discover an alternative hypothesis, I advise you to look for a black swan!


Oh, I am dead serious about that method. After all, it's what I do during my day job, to look for, quite literally, Black Swans, that is.

My theory may look like a generalisation to you, but it's the result of some very careful thought experiments. In fact, to prove my theory wrong may not be so easy, even though I myself perceive that (for elaborate reasons to do with illusions of continuous perception) it may be too simplistic.

I'm ready for any evidence, fact or reasoned argument as a result. Nothing to do with pesky filters or whatever, especially since that's what I have been doing day in day out for a living for the last 10 years or so (disproving theories, looking for black swans etc, usually with the help of mathematical reasoning).

Anyhow, why do you not lump those drivers in category a) or b)? Is it only because you believe what they say? Why? I am genuinely curious. Is it something you do by default to try not to lump people into categories? Why? Why makes you think that that's appropriate in this instance?
In fact, you go as far as to say that you are SURE that some are, but not all. How come? Have you met a single example such that you could be SURE that they do not belong to a) or b)? What makes you think that such a specimen must exist for SURE if you haven't met one? How can you be SURE?
Or is it just :o wishful :o thinking? or say differently, just another pesky filter?
Of course, if you happen to know such a person, tell us about her/him. Or if you can prove that such a person exists, then tell us how you came to that conclusion.

Rolyan
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby Rolyan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:57 am

Yes ChristianAB, I've met people who drive as described, who in my opinion are not zombies and are aware of their speed and the speed limit.

Obviously I can't prove to you that such people exist, or that I've met them. So it may be best if you continue to believe that every single person that drives that way is a zombie. I'll continue to believe that there are number of reason why people drive that way and it's slightly more complicated than your dismissive 'all are zombies'.

Simples.

P.S. You say you want a balanced, reasoned argument, but add that it shouldn't include reference to filters. Those are part of the argument, which if you are as experienced as you claim you would know.
Last edited by Rolyan on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

sussex2
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:22 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
sussex2 wrote:As you say if they have a licence and can exhibit reasonable care, then that's it.


Oh, the "reasonable care" that means they very often drive so close to other vehicles such that overtakes are not possible.
Now, the HC on that?


If they didn't drive so close they wouldn't be able to see it.
We used to call it playing train.
If you are stuck behind them you are in the enviable position of being able to view this common phenomena.

User avatar
ChristianAB
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby ChristianAB » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Rolyan wrote:Yes ChristianAB, I've met people who drive as described, who in my opinion are not zombies and are aware of their speed and the speed limit.

Obviously I can't prove to you that such people exist, or that I've met them. So it may be best if you continue to believe that every single person that drives that way is a zombie. I'll continue to believe that there are number of reason why people drive that way and it's slightly more complicated than your dismissive 'all are zombies'.

Simples.

P.S. You say you want a balanced, reasoned argument, but add that it shouldn't include reference to filters. Those are part of the argument, which if you are as experienced as you claim you would know.


Too bad.

Imsensible
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 pm
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby Imsensible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:36 pm

StressedDave wrote:As there's no body language permissible on a forum, I find it wholly appropriate to assume whoever posts on it is an ass as I find that saves time. #decideifImeanttoputasmileyonthispostornot


Well, as you post on here regularly, I'll just confirm that in your case, it is a wholly appropriate assumption. #decideifImeanttoputasmileyonthispostornot.

:D

Imsensible
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 pm
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby Imsensible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:58 pm

I assume that when the 'advanced' drivers on here decide what is a safe speed for any piece of road, that they would ignore their own judgement and speed up, if it was obvious that one or more cars behind wish to go faster?

Or is that somehow different to those whom you criticise for choosing their own speed?

Honestly, some of the posters on this thread really don't do AD any favours with their sterotyping and brazen prejudice against all who don't conform to their particular view of driving. I've looked for a black swan, but all I found were a few muppets. :roll: :twisted: :judge: :soap: :headbang: :popcorn:

Rolyan
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby Rolyan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Imsensible wrote:I assume that when the 'advanced' drivers on here decide what is a safe speed for any piece of road, that they would ignore their own judgement and speed up, if it was obvious that one or more cars behind wish to go faster?

Or is that somehow different to those whom you criticise for choosing their own speed?

Honestly, some of the posters on this thread really don't do AD any favours with their sterotyping and brazen prejudice against all who don't conform to their particular view of driving. I've looked for a black swan, but all I found were a few muppets. :roll: :twisted: :judge: :soap: :headbang: :popcorn:

Agreed.


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests