40 mph ... Why?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Perhaps they are all real-life TCR Jam Cars. Anyway, rather than getting annoyed about them, should we not be viewing them simply as overtaking practice?
Last edited by Strangely Brown on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

They must have very good accelerator pedal control to maintain that 40 mph. Except they often don't and this annoys me at other speeds too, folks who can't use the accelerator to ensure the speed on the flat is maintained up the hill.
Then, who cares, they, presumably, are officially licensed to drive, so all's good, is it not?

gannet

Postby gannet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:32 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Anyway, rather than getting annoyed about them, should we not be viewing them simply as overtaking practice?

Yes, provided they don't try and block the overtake :shock:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:04 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:They must have very good accelerator pedal control to maintain that 40 mph. Except they often don't and this annoys me at other speeds too, folks who can't use the accelerator to ensure the speed on the flat is maintained up the hill.
Then, who cares, they, presumably, are officially licensed to drive, so all's good, is it not?

There's no requirement to be an expert in order to drive.
As you say if they have a licence and can exhibit reasonable care, then that's it.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:27 am

Strangely Brown wrote:Perhaps they are all real-life TCR Jam Cars. Anyway, rather than getting annoyed about them, should we not be viewing them simply as overtaking practice?

Yes, I do ... but they travel in packs. Nose to tail. It often leaves the situation of no overtake and become one of the sheep, or take 6 at once! :o

Has overtaking become illegal? For the second time in a fortnight I've had headlights flashed madly at me by an oncoming car that is miles (figure of speech) away. I'm Mr Cautious with regard to overtaking, so a new experience for me.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Has overtaking become illegal? For the second time in a fortnight I've had headlights flashed madly at me by an oncoming car that is miles (figure of speech) away. I'm Mr Cautious with regard to overtaking, so a new experience for me.

No, just a sign that people are so unsure about overtaking that they can no longer judge speed and distance accurately -therefore, any car on their side of the road is going to crash into them...

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:27 am

Look on the bright side!
If everyone drove closer to the speed limit there'd be less, legal, opportunity to overtake - less practice.
Likewise if people knew the rules and didn't hesitate (I'm thinking mini-roundabouts) some of us would make slower progress.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:46 am

akirk wrote:Totally disengaged from reality and unaware as to their own speed and the limits

Alasdair

Really? I would be interested to know how you know that.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:52 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:Perhaps they are all real-life TCR Jam Cars. Anyway, rather than getting annoyed about them, should we not be viewing them simply as overtaking practice?

Yes, I do ... but they travel in packs. Nose to tail. It often leaves the situation of no overtake and become one of the sheep, or take 6 at once! :o

Yep, go for the 6, that's what I do!

GTR1400MAN wrote:Has overtaking become illegal? For the second time in a fortnight I've had headlights flashed madly at me by an oncoming car that is miles (figure of speech) away. I'm Mr Cautious with regard to overtaking, so a new experience for me.

I must be lucky; I rarely get a headlight flash from approaching cars, and I genuinely can't remember that last time I noticed someone trying to block an overtake. Correction, as I wrote that I remembered one occasion, from about 10 years ago, when an older gentleman appeared to block the overtake. but that's it. considering I probably do as many miles as an average motorist, and look to overtook more than the average motorist, I'm sometimes surprised by all the claims of headlight flashing and blocked overtakes.

I'm with StrangelyBrown, it's all overtaking practice.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:24 pm

To the question in hand, I've had a couple this morning, both of whom ended up with a tail of six or seven cars behind. Both were on B roads in a rural environment where the opportunity to overtake one, let alone five or six, is severely restricted by the type of road and overgrown hedgerows.

I'm with Alasdair on this - "Totally disengaged from reality and unaware as to their own speed and the limits". Probably on auto pilot and if asked to recall any part of their journey would not be able to.

Return to “General Chat”