EU - where did it go wrong?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: EU - where did it go wrong?

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Sorry about the thread drift but transport related :)

irf520

Postby irf520 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:That, more than anything else, is the most heartbreaking part of all this. That it has brought out so many people who either don't understand what democracy means, or who simply don't give a shit and would cast it aside just to have their own preference. Really? Here, today, in this country that has lost so many fighting to preserve the very thing that they are so ready to discard?

The age breakdown of the remain/leave camps is revealing enough, but I would love to see the age/demographic of those that wish to ignore the result. I would put good money on there being a direct correlation between those that are furthest away from the generations that served and the willingness to give up that for which they fought.

This is not the country that I thought I knew.

It hasn't been for a long time. 20 years or more of "progressive" education where children are taught that they are "special snowflakes" and that their feelings are more important than reality will do that. The most noble thing you can be is a victim. Narcissism runs rampant.

Do they teach civics/politics in schools these days? I had only one lesson on it at school and that was 30 years ago. I can't imagine things have improved since.

Ultimately the "elites" don't want people who think for themselves. They want people that do as they're told and who respond to stories about scary monsters (e.g. the world will end if we leave the EU) in predictable ways so that they are easy to control.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 pm

irf520 wrote: It hasn't been for a long time. 20 years or more of "progressive" education where children are taught that they are "special snowflakes" and that their feelings are more important than reality will do that. The most noble thing you can be is a victim. Narcissism runs rampant.

I'm genuinely intrigued to hear what you base that on. A fairly sweeping condemnation, followed immediately by an indication ("Do they teach civics/politics in schools these days?") that you don't actually know at all what happens in schools.

Being the 'owner' of a teenager, I don't recognise the picture you have.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Horse wrote:
irf520 wrote: It hasn't been for a long time. 20 years or more of "progressive" education where children are taught that they are "special snowflakes" and that their feelings are more important than reality will do that. The most noble thing you can be is a victim. Narcissism runs rampant.

I'm genuinely intrigued to hear what you base that on. A fairly sweeping condemnation, followed immediately by an indication ("Do they teach civics/politics in schools these days?") that you don't actually know at all what happens in schools.

Being the 'owner' of a teenager, I don't recognise the picture you have.

As someone who interviews and recruits young people, including apprentices, on a regular basis, I must admit to recognising some of the picture he paints.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:27 am

It's by no means universal, but I've certainly seen it, both when I was lecturing, and subsequently when working with graduates in their first post-University job. There appears to be an inverse relationship between salary expectations and competence. They expect £25-30k but are barely competent to operate the photocopier. We seem to go through a lot of graduate staff as engineering in general (and when you're dealing with large things not falling down, in particular) doesn't suffer fools gladly, if at all.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Return to “General Chat”