The EU - Leave or Remain?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Re: The EU - Leave or Remain?

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:You think that comes across as a mature apology? Sounds exactly like more of the same to me.

It's the best I can do, dear.

What do you want me to do? Get on my knees and lie through my teeth about how utterly sorry I am, like Boris lied through his teeth about how much money we gave to the EU per week? :D

chriskay wrote:No need to apologise; we'll just put it down to immaturity.

That's quite alright with me. :lol:

chriskay wrote:If more of your young friends had bothered to get off their arses and vote, I'm sure the result would have been different.

Absolutely, I'm annoyed with my friends who have voted leave, I'm very angry with my friends who didn't bother voting, and utterly furious with those who didn't vote and now are complaining about Brexit winning.

chriskay wrote:I speak as someone who's approaching eighty and who voted to remain. I doubt I'll be around long enough to feel the final effects.

Lucky you! At the end of the day, the decision has been taken and now all I can do is team up with my fellow youngsters and try and not let this complete farce of an exit affect us too much!

chriskay wrote:Oh, how big would the majority need to be for you not to consider it "marginal"?

I don't personally consider it marginal. If it came down to a couple of hundred votes, I would be flippin' furious, but it was a healthy 4% gap. I was merely expressing the views of many other Remainers who are decidedly more angry about the result than I am now.

This is what I've been going through. I'm at stage 7 today, so I shall be reducing our household supplies of cider by a considerable amount. :D

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:55 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:What do you want me to do? Get on my knees and lie through my teeth about how utterly sorry I am, like Boris lied through his teeth about how much money we gave to the EU per week? :D

chriskay wrote:No need to apologise; we'll just put it down to immaturity.

That's quite alright with me. :lol:

to be fair I think that the monies we pay into the EU were correct, the politicians didn't even lie about the rebate back - they just omitted to include it in the figures - apparently omission is acceptable in politics where lying isn't! (any surprise that this was as much a vote to record a dislike for politicians as anything else!)

glad to see your humour back - if nothing else there is a lot of opportunity for humour at the moment!

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:27 pm

akirk wrote:to be fair I think that the monies we pay into the EU were correct, the politicians didn't even lie about the rebate back - they just omitted to include it in the figures - apparently omission is acceptable in politics where lying isn't! (any surprise that this was as much a vote to record a dislike for politicians as anything else!)

I have to say, I'm not sure whether I'm more concerned about the fact there are now people emerging out of the woodwork who are saying they're angry because they voted leave based on the £350 mil figure, despite the huge amount of publicity which was given to debunking that particular 'fact', or whether I should be concerned about how many Leave voters voted to leave the EU as an 'act of protest' genuinely believing that the country would vote remain...

The most alarming of all is the sudden increase in racism that's happening right now.
I'm actually now concerned for the safety of so many of my friends.

akirk wrote:glad to see your humour back - if nothing else there is a lot of opportunity for humour at the moment!

Alasdair

I've gone through my grieving stage, now all that's left to do is take the piss out of the mess we're in. Being upset at this point is not going to change anything, all I can do is forget about the future, live for today then in a couple of years time when everything is truly shite, I'll either just go on a ridiculous spending spree, run up huge amounts of debt, enjoy myself for a couple of days, then top myself as a last 'fuck you'. Or maybe I'll set it up so it seems like I've died, so I can go elsewhere and start a new life and leave behind my £60k of student debt and let the English taxpayers deal with that ;)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Wow! Progress.

Looks like you've skipped stage 3 and moved straight onto stage 4. At this rate you'll be normal by tomorrow.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Wow! Progress.

Looks like you've skipped stage 3 and moved straight onto stage 4. At this rate you'll be normal by tomorrow.

Nah, I'm at stage 7.

I'm going to drink myself into a stupor tonight. :)

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Don't go on eBay halfway through then...

FWIW I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to assume that the UK is suddenly going to be circling the drain because the majority of its inhabitants decided to screw you over (from your point of view - others may have a different view). Deciding to have a flounce out of your country (having partaking of its largesse in letting you get some really, really cheap loans0 because of it is silly - those professionally qualified (please tell me you're not planning on doing a degree with 'studies' anywhere in the title) are unlikely to have any real issues.

As for the racism - it hasn't suddenly materialised out of thin air on Friday morning. It's always been there and I can't imagine anyone is less safe as a result of the vote.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:02 pm

angus wrote:Expect another referendum.

Probably in a year or two. Subject to adverse economic consequences of insufficient access to the single market which is likely now the PM is changing.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:40 pm

StressedDave wrote:As for the racism - it hasn't suddenly materialised out of thin air on Friday morning. It's always been there and I can't imagine anyone is less safe as a result of the vote.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04191.html

Remember, particularly in northern fenland there's a very high immigrant population, and the vote was /very/ strongly to exit.

It might always have been there, but this seems to have been an excuse for it to surface :(

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:09 pm

StressedDave wrote: (please tell me you're not planning on doing a degree with 'studies' anywhere in the title)

Please keep up, he's a scientist.
He'll obtain a PhD, probably Physics and then he'll have little problem working in whichever country he desires.
Thing is, 'twas ever thus.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:06 pm

jont- wrote:
StressedDave wrote:As for the racism - it hasn't suddenly materialised out of thin air on Friday morning. It's always been there and I can't imagine anyone is less safe as a result of the vote.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04191.html

Remember, particularly in northern fenland there's a very high immigrant population, and the vote was /very/ strongly to exit.

It might always have been there, but this seems to have been an excuse for it to surface :(

There has been, and still is, extreme racism in both sides and in both political parties.

Hopefully, one learning point from this for the remain camp is that they lost votes by labelling people the way they did.

Return to “General Chat”