The EU - Leave or Remain?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Silk

The EU - Leave or Remain?

Postby Silk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Any thoughts?

I'm still undecided.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

jont-

Re: The EU - Leave or Remain?

Postby jont- » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:18 pm

:nono:

Remain. /SEOT

angus

Postby angus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:45 pm

It doesn't matter which way we vote.

If we vote to stay, the powers that be will be happy.

If we vote to leave, we didn't understand the question and we'll have to vote again.

Either way, any social or economic problems over the next few years will be blamed on the electorate for voting the wrong way

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:48 pm

jont- wrote::nono:

Remain. /SEOT

On the remain side, the arguments seem to be more about trade agreements than anything else - which one would assume would stay or be renegotiated soon afterwards if we left. Nothing at all about all the stuff related to the political union side of things. Then, of course, we have Cameron etc. with "project fear" threatening us with everything up to and including WW3 if we leave. I would sum it up as, "better the devil you know".

On the leave side, it seems to be all about control of borders and making our own laws (all well and good if you believe the UK government is up to the task of making decent laws on its own). Then there's trading with the rest of the world.

At the moment, I've leaning towards Leave. Athough this probably has more to do with my intense dislike of the Remain campaign, from all sides of the political spectrum, than any hard facts.

hir

Postby hir » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:04 pm

jont- wrote: :nono:

Remain. /SEOT

"SEOT"?????

I had to look this up in my Urban Dictionary and I found two explanations. I am still none the wiser. Did you mean (and I quote)...

A state of being reached during one's pursuit of an orgasm, in which your toes are curled backwards and the expression on your face is most likely ridiculous. There are many stages of seot ranging from low, semi, mid, near and full; full-seot being the ultimate level of tranquility and semi-seot being a total ******* rip off. [expletive deleted] :o :o :o

-Seot is a term used to describe the intensity and quality of the "limbo" experienced between the beginning and the ultimate climax of intercourse. :oops:

-Seot is the word "toes" spelled backwards.
:idea:

Or did you mean (and again, I quote)...

Sorted. End of thread (internet forums). :flail:

On the basis of the moderators' express promise not to end threads without good reason I can only assume you had the former explanation in mind. Though heavens knows why. ;) I think we should be told. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, now I've had my say, you can lock this thread. Or should you wait until Friday by which time the thread will definitely be going nowhere and not getting any better. :D :D :D

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:29 pm

angus wrote:It doesn't matter which way we vote.

If we vote to stay, the powers that be will be happy.

If we vote to leave, we didn't understand the question and we'll have to vote again.

Either way, any social or economic problems over the next few years will be blamed on the electorate for voting the wrong way

You're probably right. In which case, my decision to vote will most likely depend on whether or not it's raining on Thursday. It'll be easiest to find someone who you know will vote the opposite way and agree that you'll both stay at home. That way you both stay out of the rain. ;-)

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:33 pm

hir wrote:
jont- wrote: :nono:

Remain. /SEOT

"SEOT"?????

I had to look this up in my Urban Dictionary and I found two explanations. I am still none the wiser. Did you mean (and I quote)...

A state of being reached during one's pursuit of an orgasm, in which your toes are curled backwards and the expression on your face is most likely ridiculous. There are many stages of seot ranging from low, semi, mid, near and full; full-seot being the ultimate level of tranquility and semi-seot being a total ******* rip off. [expletive deleted] :o :o :o

-Seot is a term used to describe the intensity and quality of the "limbo" experienced between the beginning and the ultimate climax of intercourse. :oops:

-Seot is the word "toes" spelled backwards.
:idea:

Or did you mean (and again, I quote)...

Sorted. End of thread (internet forums). :flail:

On the basis of the moderators' express promise not to end threads without good reason I can only assume you had the former explanation in mind. Though heavens knows why. ;) I think we should be told. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, now I've had my say, you can lock this thread. Or should you wait until Friday by which time the thread will definitely be going nowhere and not getting any better. :D :D :D

I think he means that there will be no sex following Brexit. It's very difficult without free movement. :lol:

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Silk wrote:At the moment, I've leaning towards Leave. Athough this probably has more to do with my intense dislike of the Remain campaign, from all sides of the political spectrum, than any hard facts.

I am equally depressed by the appalling quality of the campaign on both sides. I am struggling to see how the conservative party in particular will be able to put itself back together after next week. I have posted my postal vote.

angus

Postby angus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I will be working as a polling officer on Thursday at a station which I've worked at for general and local elections. The ward is fairly appathetic with turnouts of between 15% (first police commissioner election) and high 30s/low 40s for general elections - this excludes the 10-15% who have postal votes.

It will be interesting to see the turnout, because there is a lot of interest in this and most people have an opinion one way or the other.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Sadly I think it is probably wrong to have had a referendum at all... I would like to see the UK with a strong voice in the EU, but if we vote remain I think it puts us in a weak negotiating position within the EU as we no longer have the threat of leaving...

Now that we are having a referendum - I think that most of the economics discussion is an irrelevance, as is immigration - for both we could choose any approach either in or out... I think the main debate now is around sovereignty, do we want to be run by those we elect and can choose to remove every 5 years, or nameless unelected mandarins in Europe, I suspect that for many this will be the basis for voting

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”