The EU - Leave or Remain?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: The EU - Leave or Remain?

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:44 am

Correction to my last;
The rest of the members of one of the greatest groups of separate nations in the world, have made one thing perfectly plain! There will be no concessions and we must leave as soon as possible.
There is no mood amongst our fellow members to offer any type of bargain. Why on earth should they?

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:54 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:We've voted to leave. 52% to 48%.

I hope you're all fucking happy.

I hereby complain about your entirely unnecessary use of foul language which, regrettably, provides confirmation of your immaturity..

Now please, Alasdair, do something about that!

FWIW, I do think we've got the right result, albeit by a narrow margin, and quite honestly I was not expecting this to be the result. What was needed here was for the British people to show the courage and confidence to break free from what is, in my view, a completely inappropriate and ill-founded initiative that sooner or later will come crashing down.

I don't think sufficient account has ever been taken of the fact that most people want to retain their independence, lifestyle and culture whatever form that might take. These things do, of course, evolve naturally in any event, and we'll also want to make conscious changes from time to time; but these changes, and this progress, will be our choice, made by the indigenous British people, and not something imposed from outside - by anybody.

After 40+ years of living within the EU regime, we are no doubt now going to face some difficult conditions for a while, and I'm sorry for those who will find this problematical, but when the suitable adjustments have been made, it will come right in the end. Freedom and independence are things we allow to be taken from us far too easily, and it can be very difficult to retrieve them. This is a significant step in the right direction. Have faith.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:00 am

Silk wrote:

Surprisingly enough, I voted remain.

Huh, another mistake, but fortunately no harm done. :P

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:05 am

StressedDave wrote:You should hear some of my overly intellectual or London-based friends then. They're either railing against the idiots who voted leave or doomsaying how badly off Insanity's generation are going to be once it all pans out - probably/possibly.

Well they'll just have to learn to cope then, as did those of us who were born in 1940 did. Modern youngsters don't know they're born.

Incidentally, Dave, I reckon you're quite a lot older than half my age. That's referring back to another thread though: is it a chargeable offence? :lol:

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:12 am

The EU has trade agreements still in place and expanded which predate the Maastrich treaty. For example the European free trade Association This Started in 1960 and the UK was a member in its own right until 1991 when under an update we came under the EU banner. This agreement covers Switzerland Norway Iceland , and has extended with Israel Morocco South Africa Mexico Argentina and many other countries now part of or signed up to co operation agreements offering free trade. It is not going to be an easy time but trade is to important to the UK and the EU. The UK had continued to play a large part in international trade negotiations as a member of the EU I have no doubt it will use that experience in the future. What ever way the vote went the future was uncertain, many of my friends over the channel are also feeling great uncertainty, some are sad the UK has taken this decision but many will agree that something needed to change. The UK is not the first country to exit the EU and I feel it will not be the last.
As for trade with Europe nothing is going to change immediately Maybe in two years time British truckers will again need carnets to transit Europe and individuals need a green card something equivalent to take their cars over there. But we will still trade, I expect it will still be duty free.
If anyone is interested in the duty rates from the rest of the world have a look at https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff it may give you some idea of the present duties for goods from outside the EU you may be surprised how low some actually are. These rates are part of the GATT so the full rates would not be affected
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:23 am

TripleS wrote:

I hereby complain about your entirely unnecessary use of foul language which, regrettably, provides confirmation of your immaturity..

Now please, Alasdair, do something about that!

FWIW, I do think we've got the right result, albeit by a narrow margin, and quite honestly I was not expecting this to be the result. What was needed here was for the British people to show the courage and confidence to break free from what is, in my view, a completely inappropriate and ill-founded initiative that sooner or later will come crashing down.

I don't think sufficient account has ever been taken of the fact that most people want to retain their independence, lifestyle and culture whatever form that might take. These things do, of course, evolve naturally in any event, and we'll also want to make conscious changes from time to time; but these changes, and this progress, will be our choice, made by the indigenous British people, and not something imposed from outside - by anybody.

After 40+ years of living within the EU regime, we are no doubt now going to face some difficult conditions for a while, and I'm sorry for those who will find this problematical, but when the suitable adjustments have been made, it will come right in the end. Freedom and independence are things we allow to be taken from us far too easily, and it can be very difficult to retrieve them. This is a significant step in the right direction. Have faith.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I'm confused about what you mean by freedom and independence.
A brief look through history will tell you that we have never had either of those; we've not had complete freedom from our neighbours nor complete independence from them.
If we are doing that now, gaining true independence and genuine freedom, then it will be the first time. It will be truly revolutionary.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:44 am

TripleS wrote:
StressedDave wrote:You should hear some of my overly intellectual or London-based friends then. They're either railing against the idiots who voted leave or doomsaying how badly off Insanity's generation are going to be once it all pans out - probably/possibly.

Well they'll just have to learn to cope then, as did those of us who were born in 1940 did. Modern youngsters don't know they're born.

Incidentally, Dave, I reckon you're quite a lot older than half my age. That's referring back to another thread though: is it a chargeable offence? :lol:

I was born a later than 1940 and though conditions were tough and the country broke there were a lot of things in our favour.
You could get a job easily; my first employer begged me to stay.
If you wanted to change jobs you just walked across the road and got another one.
There were no zero hour contracts and a lot of things were highly unionised.
Should you wish to leave home, or have to, rents were low and often controlled.
In desperation, the armed forces were still large and weren't too fussy who they took. If you left these even, the state controlled industries would take you with hardly a question asked.
The police and emergency services were good employers of ex servicemen/women.

The young people of today may be molly coddled but they have different problems. I don't think that we, as the older generation, should be putting unnecessary barriers in their way.
That we may have done so is a great concern.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 am

TripleS wrote:I hereby complain about your entirely unnecessary use of foul language

To be fair, even the best of us might say or do things we later regret when we are deeply upset or in a state of emotional shock.

I try to recognise these in me and, when identified, try to say or do as little as possible until the emotional volatility has subsided [/managing-emotional-state-is-for-life-and-not-just-when-driving]
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:02 am

sussex2 wrote:The young people of today may be molly coddled but they have different problems. I don't think that we, as the older generation, should be putting unnecessary barriers in their way. That we may have done so is a great concern.

Those of us who voted leave don't think we have put unecessary barriers in the way of young people. Far from it. We believe it's the best thing for us as individuals, for our families and for our country.

The sooner that remain voters accept that those who voted leave are not the racist jingoistic xenophobes that your media of choice told you, the better. We voted to leave for what we believed were the right reasons, and that includes caring about our children and the next generation just as much as you or anybody else.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:15 am

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:

Surprisingly enough, I voted remain.

Huh, another mistake, but fortunately no harm done. :P

I don't see what a quote from one of your driving commentaries has anything to do with it.

Return to “General Chat”