The EU - Leave or Remain?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Gareth

Re: The EU - Leave or Remain?

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:46 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I was subject to insane amounts of pressure to do as well as I possibly can.

Where did the pressure come from? The education system? Society? Your parents? Your peers? From inside?

TheInsanity1234 wrote:For what? Some letters to prove that I can regurgitate some facts under exam conditions, or do some problem solving.

You don't think that's the essence of what's required as an independent adult? Many jobs that require a certain amount of academic success require some learning, retaining what has been learned, and solving problems.

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've got a few mental health issues due to the insane stress and pressure I've been subject to, and I'm afraid I'm not the only one. Lots of other school leavers my age are saying similar things.

Do you think that your parents' generation, or the generation before it, had an easier time at school? Maybe this really is generation snowflake, and we as a society have done a pretty poor job of preparing the current younger generation for adult life.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:51 am

I am not happy about the divisiveness nor the upset or anger, however the signs that the EU is not the ideal organisation for the future have been around for a while... It is important to remember that if you strip away the EU you still have all the individual countries, you still have the same people, you still have the same markets... Which says that a) the EU is an unnecessary level of bureaucracy and b) there is still a future alongside those countries and trading with them... It wouldn't surprise me if the EU as a concept now started to collapse, and if so, as the leavers who started the process, and as one of the strongest economies in the world we should come out in a strong position...

I think this could be a very strong move for the country long term, though undoubtedly with short term issues... The fact that so many remain supporters across the Internet are being so abusive about the result says a lot... And is very sad, a decision has been made we need to get on and build the country going forward...

Alasdair

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:We've voted to leave. 52% to 48%.

I hope you're all fucking happy.

Think of it less of a poor decision on our part and more of a pre-emptive strike on those miserable 18 year olds with a sense of entitlement who are moaning that life is sooooo unfair and that education hasn't instilled the important life lessons like how to apply for benefit. I'm old enough to be your Dad (and in certain parts of the country your Grandad - hello Lincolnshire :lol: ) and I've never needed that particular life lesson.

You are of course aware that, given that the vast majority of politicians still back Remain and will be negotiating a deal rather similar to what we already have aren't you, save for the removal for the need for ever-increasing political union (something that is driven by the fiscal union created by the Euro) and not being beholden to a justice system that is a) making it all up as it goes along and b) subject to lobbying in a degree that is unheard of in the UK.

I'd be utterly amazed if the right of free movement is going to be curtailed significantly... Nigel isn't even an MP you know.
Last edited by StressedDave on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I was subject to insane amounts of pressure to do as well as I possibly can.

Really? I think you'll find that those gainfully employed people on here have the same amount of pressure (and probably more if you work in something safety-critical like I do) every day, so apologies if you find us somewhat lacking in compassion.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:46 am

Cameron has gone

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 am

Clearly you're not quite as convinced about democracy and letting the people speak as your idealistic posts suggested.

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:21 am

I think the most important figure to take from the referendum is 72%. If such a turnout could be sustained for actual elections, we might become a more democratic country.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:27 am

Rolyan wrote:

Clearly you're not quite as convinced about democracy and letting the people speak as your idealistic posts suggested.

It's those senile wrinklies, I tell you! :lol:
Nick

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:55 am

Speak for yourself about the wrinkly bit...

I too was impressed by the turnout. Perhaps we should revert to a two party system (nationwide - get rid of the SNP and all the other parties - if only to see the look on Sturgeon's face) and have a simple YES/NO question: Do you still want the Tories in power?

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:21 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Rolyan wrote:

It's those senile wrinklies, I tell you! :lol:

Once he's left school and gone to University and joined the real world, he'll need someone to blame all his problems on!

Return to “General Chat”