Censorship and derailment

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Re: Censorship and derailment

Postby martine » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:56 am

Crickey - I've only been keeping an intermittent look at this thread (no I didn't complain either!) but some people just need to lighten up!

I'm not a moderator here but for those that have never done it, try sometime...getting the balance is tricky and if a thread is locked or a user banned, it seems there will always be someone who will take offence and complain. The moderation here and at ADUK was very light and I believe, always done for the best reasons but like anything detached from face-to-face communication, sometimes it can be misinterpreted.

Alasdair has explained and I fully support his and the other moderators stance - but remember, in the end this is just a forum - it's not exactly life-or-death ...is it? Lets chill and move on. :cheers:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:44 pm

TripleS wrote:Right then, ADHub is no longer on my 'favourites' list for frequent and easy access, so I guess that's that. I therefore repeat my previous request that my posts be deleted and my ADHub membership terminated.

Drawing a parallel with the Leave/Remain campaign, many of the above posts show that there are idiots on both sides, all of whom are convinced that they are right and that they hold the moral high ground. But perhaps you need to stay in to fight for change!

REMEMBER - IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN THE EU, USE YOUR VOTE ON FRIDAY.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Rolyan wrote:REMEMBER - IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN THE EU, USE YOUR VOTE ON FRIDAY.

Nice try, troll :headbang: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Thursday.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:04 pm

jont- wrote:
Rolyan wrote:REMEMBER - IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN THE EU, USE YOUR VOTE ON FRIDAY.

Nice try, troll :headbang: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Thursday.

Sigh.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 pm

I wouldn't blame Alasdair if he shut this forum down now.
He provided a place, for free, for ex ADUK members and, then by a quirk of fate, for renegades from an IAM forum now dead.
His reward?, members who can't appreciate how to make this place work without problems.
I include Dave, who started this and those who complained but not by posting.
My view about forums is that you tackle someone who you disagree with, on the forum.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 pm

No issue with how this forum is run from my side. And, I hate thread drifting for the most part anyway. With that said, if someone wants to drift, I am happy to tolerate it but only up to point. Otherwise, the forum ends up full of garbage over time, as the good bits can no longer be easily isolated from the rest. Plus, this forum as an ethos attached to it and the forum owner are, understandably, the guardian of that ethos.

In any case, this forum was never meant to be a democracy. It is provided free of charge and if someone is not happy (and that includes me) they are free to go elsewhere and maybe try their hand at running their own forum. I am not sure if it is a misplaced sense of entitlement or what which fuels this pseudo-censorship/derailment thing but the way I see it, anyone who struggles with the level of censorship here...probably needs to travel more.

With that said, I have lived on 3 different continents and would have probably had another outlook on this otherwise, so I can empathise if someone does not share my opinion. That is, so long as they don't pollute threads too much :twisted: :twisted:

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 pm

akirk wrote:I think there is being a bit of silliness here...
tripleS in my view completely over-reacted... It was a minor issue regarding a comment being better placed in its own thread rather than de-railing another thread, however work interrupted and I was unable to let TripleS know before he had reacted, unfortunate timing perhaps, but this is a free forum moderated in their spare time by a few moderators who do so because they believe it is valuable in terms of the AD community, at no point can we guarantee that we deal with things as perfectly as we might always wish...

It was not censorship as there was never an issue about actually posting about the referendum elsewhere, it just wasn't appropriate there

Alasdair

It would have seemed quite normal to me had the original offending post been moved to a new thread with a comment that that had been done because it represented excessive thread drift. I don't think that would have generated the sort of discomfort which simply deleting it without explanation has done.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 pm

waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:I think there is being a bit of silliness here...
tripleS in my view completely over-reacted... It was a minor issue regarding a comment being better placed in its own thread rather than de-railing another thread, however work interrupted and I was unable to let TripleS know before he had reacted, unfortunate timing perhaps, but this is a free forum moderated in their spare time by a few moderators who do so because they believe it is valuable in terms of the AD community, at no point can we guarantee that we deal with things as perfectly as we might always wish...

It was not censorship as there was never an issue about actually posting about the referendum elsewhere, it just wasn't appropriate there

Alasdair

It would have seemed quite normal to me had the original offending post been moved to a new thread with a comment that that had been done because it represented excessive thread drift. I don't think that would have generated the sort of discomfort which simply deleting it without explanation has done.

As explained a number of times - I was called away by work mid sorting stuff out... While I try to be perfect, I don't always manage :)

Alasdair

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 am

waremark wrote:It would have seemed quite normal to me had the original offending post been moved to a new thread with a comment that that had been done because it represented excessive thread drift. I don't think that would have generated the sort of discomfort which simply deleting it without explanation has done.

The offending part was actually a single sentence at the end of an otherwise non-offending post which, apart from that sentence, still exists. Yes, in hindsight, it might have been better to split that post and use the single sentence to create the first post in a new thread.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

hir

Postby hir » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 am

waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:...

Alasdair

Totally agree with waremark on this.

If the single sentence had been moved to a new thread (by either Dave or the Mods.) we would have avoided the situation being inflamed by talk of... "not being a democracy", "ownership of the forum", "veiled threats of ban-hammer use vaguely disguised as humour" and, ultimately, Dave deciding he wants to Leave.

Now is the time for everyone to calm down, take a deep breath and reflect on how the issue could have been dealt with in a more effective, and less emotive, manner. :cheers:

Return to “General Chat”