Censorship and derailment

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TripleS

Re: Censorship and derailment

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:18 am

waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:I think there is being a bit of silliness here...
tripleS in my view completely over-reacted... It was a minor issue regarding a comment being better placed in its own thread rather than de-railing another thread, however work interrupted and I was unable to let TripleS know before he had reacted, unfortunate timing perhaps, but this is a free forum moderated in their spare time by a few moderators who do so because they believe it is valuable in terms of the AD community, at no point can we guarantee that we deal with things as perfectly as we might always wish...

It was not censorship as there was never an issue about actually posting about the referendum elsewhere, it just wasn't appropriate there

Alasdair

It would have seemed quite normal to me had the original offending post been moved to a new thread with a comment that that had been done because it represented excessive thread drift. I don't think that would have generated the sort of discomfort which simply deleting it without explanation has done.

Exactly. Thank you, Mark.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:04 am

It can't be long now........

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:56 pm

TripleS wrote:
waremark wrote:It would have seemed quite normal to me had the original offending post been moved to a new thread with a comment that that had been done because it represented excessive thread drift. I don't think that would have generated the sort of discomfort which simply deleting it without explanation has done.

FFS. Alistair has already said his plan was to explain the removal, but life got in the way. He's since apologised. What else is it reasonable to expect?

Now, time to lock this thread too...?

hir

Postby hir » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:09 pm

jont- wrote:
TripleS wrote:
waremark wrote:It would have seemed quite normal to me had the original offending post been moved to a new thread with a comment that that had been done because it represented excessive thread drift. I don't think that would have generated the sort of discomfort which simply deleting it without explanation has done.

FFS. Alistair has already said his plan was to explain the removal, but life got in the way. He's since apologised. What else is it reasonable to expect?

Now, time to lock this thread too...?

Your use of the letters FFS, if I've understood your meaning correctly, would indicate a significant degree of frustration and irritation on your part. That is not sufficient reason for you to lock the thread. Your role is one of arbitration and ensuring that the forum rules are observed. It is not to react to your own irritation.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:23 pm

hir wrote:Your use of the letters FFS, if I've understood your meaning correctly, would indicate a significant degree of frustration and irritation on your part. That is not sufficient reason for you to lock the thread. Your role is one of arbitration and ensuring that the forum rules are observed. It is not to react to your own irritation.

:hit: :bash: :judge:
Have we got a written constitution yet? :lol:

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Time for a referendum...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:38 pm

StressedDave wrote:Time for a referendum...

You want to go back to ADUK...? :facepalm:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:05 pm

John,

Yes, unsurprisingly, we get frustrated and irritated by personal attacks on our integrity and fairness. As Martin said earlier, it's a thankless job, and there's always someone complaining. When it gets drawn out to this extent by one very mild moderating action, I think it's fair for us to feel somewhat hurt by the needless and prolonged criticism.

Perhaps you'd like to try it?

Nick
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:42 pm

I think it could be fun to start a thread (with no intention or desire for seriousness) for forum rules...

other than that there are no rules - anarchy in a constructive sense is good fun and moves communities forward!

I think... :)

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:49 pm

akirk wrote:I think it could be fun to start a thread (with no intention or desire for seriousness) for forum rules...

other than that there are no rules - anarchy in a constructive sense is good fun and moves communities forward!

There are only 3 of us with mod powers, so there are limits to the anarchy. Give everyone mod powers and watch what happens....? :drinking: :popcorn: :flail:

/maybe not :lol:

Return to “General Chat”