The state of roads.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: The state of roads.

Postby Rolyan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:51 am

StressedDave wrote:I'm not suggesting in any way that he wasn't an idiot. I've seen plenty of organ donors in my time. Now I appreciate the typed word is an undoubtedly imperfect medium, but the tone of your post suggested to me the idea that, because you're such a l33t driver (see, I can get down with the kiddies without having to use the word 'chillax :ugeek: ) only you would have saved that cyclist's life. Hence the use of the word smug. There are plenty of other less polite words I'd have used but I'm under enough medication (including what is apparently the most abused drug in the UK prison system) to have control of my sweary keyboard fingers for the first time since the Internet forum was invented.

And I don't have massive experience. I mean I've not even got an advanced driver qualification and I'm less than half TripleS' age :mrgreen: so I can't claim years of experience like him.

You've interpreted my post incorrectly. At no point was I trying to suggest that only I would have saved that cyclists life! I think it's slightly arrogant of you to think think I could be that arrogant.

You initially posted a comment about cyclists going against the flow. I responded with a genuine incident about a cyclist. He was an idiot; recognising him as such saved his life.

So to repeat, it was never intended to suggest that only I could have saved that cyclists life, the same way as I don't interpret your posts as saying only you are capable of executing the things you discuss.

TripleS
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Briggswath

Re: The state of roads.

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:54 am

Right, so my admittedly off topic (and clearly political) suggestion was deleted.

I accept that the site owners have the right to do that, but I am not happy that it was done without any prior discussion with me, so I guess it's the parting of the ways. I am well aware that I haven't posted anything helpful on this site for quite a long time, so I might as well save my time, and yours.

Goodbye, and best wishes, everyone,
Dave.

gannet
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:23 am

Re: The state of roads.

Postby gannet » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:43 am

Rolyan wrote:
StressedDave wrote:I'm not suggesting in any way that he wasn't an idiot. I've seen plenty of organ donors in my time. Now I appreciate the typed word is an undoubtedly imperfect medium, but the tone of your post suggested to me the idea that, because you're such a l33t driver (see, I can get down with the kiddies without having to use the word 'chillax :ugeek: ) only you would have saved that cyclist's life. Hence the use of the word smug. There are plenty of other less polite words I'd have used but I'm under enough medication (including what is apparently the most abused drug in the UK prison system) to have control of my sweary keyboard fingers for the first time since the Internet forum was invented.

And I don't have massive experience. I mean I've not even got an advanced driver qualification and I'm less than half TripleS' age :mrgreen: so I can't claim years of experience like him.

You've interpreted my post incorrectly. At no point was I trying to suggest that only I would have saved that cyclists life! I think it's slightly arrogant of you to think think I could be that arrogant.

You initially posted a comment about cyclists going against the flow. I responded with a genuine incident about a cyclist. He was an idiot; recognising him as such saved his life.

So to repeat, it was never intended to suggest that only I could have saved that cyclists life, the same way as I don't interpret your posts as saying only you are capable of executing the things you discuss.


He wasn't the only one to have read your post that way. just sayin'

TripleS - that's a shame, I've always enjoyed your posts :(

Rolyan
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: The state of roads.

Postby Rolyan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:13 am

gannet wrote:He wasn't the only one to have read your post that way. just sayin'

TripleS - that's a shame, I've always enjoyed your posts :(

Then you have also misunderstood the comments. As Dave mentioned, the written word is notoriously difficult to get the meaning. However, I'm struggling to see where on earth you got the impression that I suggested that I was the only one able to do it.

I very clearly described an incident and mentioned that by assuming he was an idiot, I planned for the craziest move he could make. It worked. But I never suggested I was the only one. That was never the point and I'm struggling to understand why you think it was. Perhaps you allowed your perception of me to cloud your judgement; I don't know because however I read my original post, I don't see how it can be interpreted the way you say you did.

However, the difficulty with forums has been recognised, and one thing we do agree on is that it's a shame TripleS is going (although I can understand his frustration).

Rolyan
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: The state of roads.

Postby Rolyan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 am

Rolyan wrote:
StressedDave wrote:I think you'll find in central Cambridge that the roads are three inches wide and the rest is given over to cyclists, many of whom will quite happily cycle against traffic.

The cyclist the other day was going with the flow of traffic, but decided he could make better progress by cycling at speed on the pavement. Fortunately, I based my driving plan around the premise that not only was he inconsiderate, he was likely to be a really poor rider with no spatial awareness and an arrogant attitude to all other road users. This meant that when he decided to join the road without any shoulder check, at speed, I was able to avoid an unpleasant RTI.

Knowing that most cyclists are complete idiots (certainly the lycra clad 'Captain Insensible' ones) can save their lives.

This is my original post, and I cannot see for the life of me where, as Dave and Gannet state, I've written or suggested that I believe that I'm such a l33t driver that only I could have saved that drivers life.

I've very clearly written that by planning for him lacking road skills I was able to avoid an unpleasant RTI. I've also very clearly written that knowing that most are idiots can save their lives. I see it every day, and I genuinely cannot understand why they do the things they do.

But in no way did I suggest what you say I did.

hir
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: The state of roads.

Postby hir » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:23 am

TripleS wrote:Right, so my admittedly off topic (and clearly political) suggestion was deleted.

I accept that the site owners have the right to do that, but I am not happy that it was done without any prior discussion with me, so I guess it's the parting of the ways. I am well aware that I haven't posted anything helpful on this site for quite a long time, so I might as well save my time, and yours.

Goodbye, and best wishes, everyone,
Dave.


So, Dave is saying goodbye to ADHub...
"Goodbye, and best wishes, everyone,"

These were your farewell words to us.
Next Thursday you'll be saying the same to the EU.

TripleS was your moniker. Nobody knew what it meant.
I Googled it on Google and got over 9 million results,

None of which explained why you want to leave.
Now we'll never know. :?

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: The state of roads.

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 pm

TripleS was probably a reference to Safe, Smooth and Systematic.

He's leaving for the same reason you post is probably going to be censored too ;)
Mike Roberts

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: The state of roads.

Postby akirk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Not a fan of censorship, but this thread is now so far off track it is probably getting a little silly, a PM was sent, but delayed as I was called away by work - I am not on here all the time :)

No issue with discussion on almost any topic, but prefer topics not to be derailed...
Anyone who wants to discuss the EU - feel free in its own thread in the right place!

As the original topic has died I will lock it :)

Alasdair


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest