The state of roads.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Silk

Re: The state of roads.

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:17 am

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:go across the water to Europe and the roads are like smooth billiard tables for mile after mile.

I wish that'd been my experience in Ireland but, sadly, it was not.

Ireland have had massive investment in their roads in recent years and, as long as you stay on the major routes, you'll be treated to some of the best roads in the world. The trouble starts once you leave these roads for some of the local ones. Get off the ferry at Wexford and take the N25 to Cork or fork off to the N72 to Killarney at Dungarvan and you'll be in for a treat - not so good if you stray too far from the main roads though.

I think there's a difference between the occasional driving we may do abroad as a tourist and that which we do in the UK as a local. It also depends on how near you are to major road infrastructure. North Bristol is always going to be much better than West Dorset, for example. Sorry if that offends, but it's a fact.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:So, I'm alright Jack? :twisted: You need to get out more and spread your wings.

Getting out more isn't something I could ever be reasonably accused of when it comes to driving in the UK. :lol:

GTR1400MAN wrote:Why do you think so many on two wheels go touring?

Much of what those in the two-wheeled community get up in their spare time to is a source of much amusement and a certain amount of incredulity as far as I'm concerned. I've no idea why anyone would want to get on a motorcycle in the first place, let alone enjoy it. :confused:

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Just back from a holiday in Northern Spain.
Roads immaculate.
Unlike here.
Why?

:soap:

People should get a life and stop moaning. I drove to and from Cornwall on Friday. Apart from the road works where they're building the "missing link" on the A30 the roads are generally excellent. In fact, the majority of our motorways and trunk roads are of a high standard.

If you live somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, like Dorset, it stands to reason the roads are going to be crap. Live with it or move somewhere more civilised.

Why the hell should people move, just to live in an area where the roads are decently maintained? Possibly you are being your mischievous self (again :roll: ) but if not I say bollox to that. As far as I'm concerned our road network is not in a decent condition and road users (all of us) are fully justified in feeling that we are being short changed in this respect.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Silk wrote:....fork off....

That's lowered the tone a bit. :P

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:26 pm

TripleS wrote:Why the hell should people move, just to live in an area where the roads are decently maintained?

I'm getting a bit fed up with people running this country down based on their limited experience of other countries. If it's so great in Spain and France, why not take advantage of free movement while they still can and go and live there. There's thousands queueing up in Calais only too willing to take their place.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:27 pm

TripleS wrote:

Your very presence here has seen to that. :drums:

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Your very presence here has seen to that. :drums:

:lol:

Well I can't leave all the 'tone lowering' to you. I'll share the task with you. 8-)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:33 pm

:swords: Fight! Fight!

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:48 am

Triquet wrote: :swords: Fight! Fight!

Aye, early one morning at a secret location it'll be cold porridge at 30 paces. [/Goon Show mode] :lol:

Steve's problem - well, one of them - is that he doesn't seem to appreciate that I'm the only supporter he has here (albeit part-time only), and still he behaves like an ass towards me. Some folk can be quite weird. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix smiley

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:02 am

Girls girls, please, save that for the internet!

Return to “General Chat”