The state of roads.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: The state of roads.

Postby jont- » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:24 am

sussex2 wrote:The Toyo tyres on my MX5 pick up these stones a lot. The stones then get chucked out at my wheel arches, and I assume, at anyone else within range.
I've honestly never seen roads repaired the way we do here; is it just the UK that does this or is it more widespread (the repair not the gravel :) )

It's even worse with sticky tyres on the caterham. Any hint of wheel lock, and they end up in the cabin. And the ones that don't make a horrific racket off the rear arch stone guards. It comes back to my point I think most councillors don't understand what they are inflicting on people (given it's local councils making the decisions for most roads, not central gov't). And don't tell me they don't have any money when they always seem able to find it for speed limit reductions :roll: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:27 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Just back from a holiday in Northern Spain.
Roads immaculate.
Unlike here.
Why?

Slight drift, hope you enjoyed the North as it is one of my favourite places. I'd move to San Sebastian (Donostia) tomorrow if I could.
The trip on the 'economy' ferry to Santander is worth a forum of its own though :roll:

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:58 am

The key to keeping a [well built] road in solid condition is to keep the top 'sealed' - hence why tar and chippings are used. As a motorcyclist, I'd prefer if they swept the loose chippings up, but I think the argument is that they rely on vehicle wheels to roller the chippings into place.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

superplum

Postby superplum » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:20 am

Horse wrote:.... but I think the argument is that they rely on vehicle wheels to roller the chippings into place.

Hence the "loose chippings" road signs and low speed requests - they're not there to reduce vehicle damage but to slow vehicles down to roll the bits in and not sweep them away.

:popcorn:

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 am

superplum wrote:
Horse wrote:.... but I think the argument is that they rely on vehicle wheels to roller the chippings into place.

Hence the "loose chippings" road signs and low speed requests - they're not there to reduce vehicle damage but to slow vehicles down to roll the bits in and not sweep them away.

:popcorn:

And is it reasonable to do so on a road where that speed is unrealistically low? (section on the way home yesterday was doing 40 and still got overtaken). And they've done it on A-roads around here, and the heavies certainly don't stick to 20.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:32 am

just be grateful your roads are being maintained at all - can't remember the last time they looked after our local roads - and with continual gravel lorries on them they are dreadful - I have just had to replace a suspension part on the z3 13 months after it was put on and c. 6,000 miles when the previous part lasted c. 15 years - I have had suspension issues on every car since living here... the council occasionally wander around with a spray can and put white paint on the road - and every year just before xxx,xxx people turn up for the Air Tattoo they send round some workers to 'fix' the roads - which are back to normal after the weekend...

It is so bad around here that I have had a coach asking me why I find it difficult to stay out to the left on a right-hand bend... simple answer is that if you take that line around here you kill the car as the road edges are horrendous...

not to worry though, we will soon be back to grass tracks and cobbles :)

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:17 am

akirk wrote: the council occasionally wander around with a spray can and put white paint on the road

I think you'll find it's actually antiseptic ointment and they're hoping the roads will heal by themselves :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 am

that might be more effective!

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:40 am

akirk wrote:just be grateful your roads are being maintained at all - can't remember the last time they looked after our local roads - and with continual gravel lorries on them they are dreadful - I have just had to replace a suspension part on the z3 13 months after it was put on and c. 6,000 miles when the previous part lasted c. 15 years - I have had suspension issues on every car since living here... the council occasionally wander around with a spray can and put white paint on the road - and every year just before xxx,xxx people turn up for the Air Tattoo they send round some workers to 'fix' the roads - which are back to normal after the weekend...

It is so bad around here that I have had a coach asking me why I find it difficult to stay out to the left on a right-hand bend... simple answer is that if you take that line around here you kill the car as the road edges are horrendous...

not to worry though, we will soon be back to grass tracks and cobbles :)

Alasdair

Oh yes and don't forget to doff your cap when the Lord of the Manor motors by!

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:03 pm

Last year a road near me had all its potholes fixed and all the ironworks levelled up. Great. For about a month. Then they tarred and feathered, sorry, stone dressed the whole road leaving all the ironworks depressed again. I get reminded every time I cycle along it.

Return to “General Chat”