The state of roads.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Re: The state of roads.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:11 pm

I have to admit, for what they are, our roads are in reasonable condition. I do expect to see an improvement after April next year though when the new taxing system comes into force.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Just back from a holiday in Northern Spain.
Roads immaculate.
Unlike here.
Why?

:soap:

People should get a life and stop moaning. I drove to and from Cornwall on Friday. Apart from the road works where they're building the "missing link" on the A30 the roads are generally excellent. In fact, the majority of our motorways and trunk roads are of a high standard.

If you live somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, like Dorset, it stands to reason the roads are going to be crap. Live with it or move somewhere more civilised.

It's not just Spain, for many years we used to visit friends with a holiday home in Brittany. Hardly an overpopulated area but, every year, the roads had been improved.
To the extent that the lane, about half a mile long, to their place and one other holiday home was regularly resufaced.
Oh and, often, the road improvements had big signs saying where the finance had come from. The EU was always on the sign.
Where's the UK's EU support for road infrastructure in out of the way places?

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:18 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Where's the UK's EU support for road infrastructure in out of the way places?

In Scotland and Wales :headbang:

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 pm

jont- wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Where's the UK's EU support for road infrastructure in out of the way places?

In Scotland and Wales :headbang:

There's a political reason for that, of course, as with the spending in Brittany.
Of note is that we attended Celtic festivals there, with, often, artists from other Celtic Nations.
Local bookshops had many publications about the Irish "troubles".

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Silk wrote:People should get a life and stop moaning. I drove to and from Cornwall on Friday. Apart from the road works where they're building the "missing link" on the A30 the roads are generally excellent. In fact, the majority of our motorways and trunk roads are of a high standard.

If you live somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, like Dorset, it stands to reason the roads are going to be crap. Live with it or move somewhere more civilised.

So, I'm alright Jack? :twisted: You need to get out more and spread your wings.

The rural roads, and that includes major A roads and bigger B roads, not just the smaller roads, are in an awful state. Potholes, edge of the road broken/crumbling, gulleys appearing where the tarmac joins, loose material everywhere. Yet, go across the water to Europe and the roads are like smooth billiard tables for mile after mile. Why do you think so many on two wheels go touring?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:25 pm

StressedDave wrote:I don't believe that Bristol could ever be described as civilised...

Quiet! Grown-ups are talking. :nono:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Silk wrote:People should get a life and stop moaning. I drove to and from Cornwall on Friday. Apart from the road works where they're building the "missing link" on the A30 the roads are generally excellent. In fact, the majority of our motorways and trunk roads are of a high standard.

So, I'm alright Jack? :twisted: You need to get out more and spread your wings.

The rural roads, and that includes major A roads and bigger B roads, not just the smaller roads, are in an awful state. Potholes, edge of the road broken/crumbling, gulleys appearing where the tarmac joins, loose material everywhere. Yet, go across the water to Europe and the roads are like smooth billiard tables for mile after mile. Why do you think so many on two wheels go touring?

I drive several times a year between Barcelona and Sussex.
The difference in the road quality after getting off the ferry at Newhaven is profound. It is almost as if there is something wrong with the car; more road noise, more bumps and frequent changes of surface.
The trouble is that if we allow any further degradation the crawl back, to any decent standard, will be long and expensive.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:05 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:go across the water to Europe and the roads are like smooth billiard tables for mile after mile.

I wish that'd been my experience in Ireland but, sadly, it was not.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:21 am

Here in occupied North Berkshire, we have two very specific problems. The first is the proliferation of solar energy farms, which mean that the adjacent road is trenched for miles to connect it back to the grid, and the trench is never properly filled. The second is the installation of cables for broadband and telly which again requires a slit trench for miles, with a half-arsed attempt at making good. This all means that a wide swathe of the road is badly rutted with these approximate road works. And of course on country roads when the Lycra contingent come out to play they ride well out in the road because they are risking life and limb in the ruts. Not to mention the pot-holes .... :mrgreen:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:51 am

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:go across the water to Europe and the roads are like smooth billiard tables for mile after mile.

I wish that'd been my experience in Ireland but, sadly, it was not.

I should have said crossing the English Channel ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”