VCDS...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: VCDS...

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun May 22, 2016 7:36 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:I'm probably being stupid but, do these foglights come on when it's not foggy?
If so, was my point about "specific consideration". Fog lights for fog only, surely?

They certainly do, albeit only one at a time. Apparently this is OK, even though using both of them could be grounds for a spot penalty. Not sure what "specific consideration" means ... :?
Nick

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun May 22, 2016 7:46 pm

As I understand it, the fog lights in a cornering light system have a separate reflector that casts the light much more to the side than a fog. Even if you can enable in software, you may not have the hardware.

Personally, I can't see much of a benefit...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun May 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: Not sure what "specific consideration" means ... :?

"Foglights for fog only, surely?"
Oh well, who cares. Driving properly seems to be of little concern these days, all, as with so many other areas, seems to be to pander to the lowest common denominator.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:01 pm

I've written an email to my dealer to ask him about the warranty possibilities. If he says no, I shall not bother. (Probably the most likely answer)

If he says it's fine, I'll have a go at getting them activated.

The reason I like them is because they genuinely make a difference to how much you can see of the edge in a left hand bend. They make no difference in right handed bends, but in a left hand bend, they just illuminate an area of the road which is usually left unlit by most headlights. I have personally seen someone save their nearside front alloy from being destroyed by a large rock jutting out into the road, and it was very well hidden until the front nearside fog light came on and illuminated the rock in all its glory! (and a minor reason is because they're cool. No other justification necessary. :mrgreen:)

But I suspect part of the issue with the Citigo is how pathetic the headlights are. They're not particularly bright, so perhaps a better pair of bulbs might make a considerable improvement.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun May 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Another lighting gimmick that should be banned! Annoying flashes of lights coming on/off as cars negotiate RABs.

These along with non-amber lenses for indicators indicators should be consigned to the scrap heap!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:33 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Another lighting gimmick that should be banned! Annoying flashes of lights coming on/off as cars negotiate RABs.

These along with non-amber lenses for indicators indicators should be consigned to the scrap heap!

You'll despise all 3 of our vehicles then.

Citigo, Yeti and Campervan all don't have amber lenses. They all have clear lenses.
And the campervan has got cornering fog lights which is actually really useful for lighting up dark entrances into people's drives (most people around here have pillars either side of their drive entrance with rubbish lights on top to mark them out).

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun May 22, 2016 9:46 pm

I have this feature on my Hyundai, and find it useful. I think it only operates on very tight and therefore slow corners, but on those it usefully illuminates the area into which you are going to turn, which is otherwise dark.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:07 am

Such things are not new and featured on just about my favourite car of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BchkRrmmB0g

martine

Postby martine » Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:...non-amber lenses for indicators indicators should be consigned to the scrap heap!

What's the problem?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 23, 2016 2:07 pm

martine wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:...non-amber lenses for indicators indicators should be consigned to the scrap heap!

What's the problem?

You can't see them on a bright day as the the sun reflects off the internal reflector. Also they can look illuminated when they are not, again by stray light being reflected. To make maters worse manufactures/designers insist on putting them close too headlights in some gaudy chromed on piece unit. Add over bright DRLs (another not needed light!) and you have a complete dog's dinner. We are driving cars! Not some 70's mobile disco! Useless!

Where's the extra grumpy smiley! :evil:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”