VCDS...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Gareth

Re: VCDS...

Postby Gareth » Mon May 23, 2016 2:23 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
martine wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:...non-amber lenses for indicators indicators should be consigned to the scrap heap!

What's the problem?

You can't see them on a bright day as the the sun reflects off the internal reflector. Also they can look illuminated when they are not, again by stray light being reflected.

Also means the amber is on the bulb which, for tungsten filament bulbs, typically means they need to be replaced every year. Against that, though, is that by the time the amber lens have faded, they're probably not readily available while the bulbs will still be available and cheap to buy.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 23, 2016 2:27 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:in a left hand bend, they just illuminate an area of the road which is usually left unlit by most headlights. I have personally seen someone save their nearside front alloy from being destroyed by a large rock jutting out into the road

Two thoughts
  • more likely to happen when tucking on for a left bend, which is why drivers shouldn't, and
  • save probably meant an instinctive swerve towards the centre of the road.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Mon May 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Gareth wrote: Against that, though, is that by the time the amber lens have faded, they're probably not readily available while the bulbs will still be available and cheap to buy.

So you then just fit yellow bulbs. :D
Carpe diem

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon May 23, 2016 5:07 pm

martine wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:...non-amber lenses for indicators indicators should be consigned to the scrap heap!

What's the problem?

I trust you're not serious?

Many years ago the USA (and Britain) introduced regulations about the size of lights, height from the ground, and separation. Those rules still pertain, but they've been obfuscated by ever increasing use of fancy optics, tinted lenses and other fashion trends that serve to make lights less useful. My favourite example of poor design in this respect is the VW Passat and some Golfs with the circular rear lights where the indicator is surrounded by the brake light, making it almost completely invisible.
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 23, 2016 6:01 pm

chriskay wrote:just fit yellow bulbs. :D

I tried but found the pins protruding either side of the base were differently located :roll:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
martine wrote:

What's the problem?

Many years ago the USA (and Britain) introduced regulations about the size of lights, height from the ground, and separation. Those rules still pertain, but they've been obfuscated by ever increasing use of fancy optics, tinted lenses and other fashion trends that serve to make lights less useful. My favourite example of poor design in this respect is the VW Passat and some Golfs with the circular rear lights where the indicator is surrounded by the brake light, making it almost completely invisible.

I never take much notice of indicators, silly bits of plastic.
Perhaps I've spent too much time in Spain where the (euphamistically named) Renault Express was once the staple transport in the countryside.
These things didn't, it seemed, have brake lights or indicators. The reason was simple; everyone knew where the driver lived and that it was time for lunch.
These amazing machines were/still are in many cases, absolutely the bees knees as far as technology is concerned; they can change lanes with no input at all from the driver :)

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:in a left hand bend, they just illuminate an area of the road which is usually left unlit by most headlights. I have personally seen someone save their nearside front alloy from being destroyed by a large rock jutting out into the road

Two thoughts
  • more likely to happen when tucking on for a left bend, which is why drivers shouldn't, and
  • save probably meant an instinctive swerve towards the centre of the road.

Road wasn't the right word. It was a driveway entrance, and the entrance was very narrow meaning you had to enter with a very steep steering angle, and to compound matters further, the entrance had quite steep sides on both sides, so you couldn't see into it very easily. But headlights would not shine into the entrance, and there had been quite a bit of rain, and it was (obviously) dark and actually quite wet when the driver was entering the drive, and unbeknown to us, there had been a mini landslide earlier in the day due to the rain, and there was quite a lot of rock on the left hand side of the entrance, so if it wasn't for the fog light shining into the entrance, the rock would've remained unilluminated and most likely not noticed until it damaged the alloy considerably.

But anyway, the whole idea is a moot point as the dealer said I could do it if I wanted, but if I did it, it wouldn't make matters easier when it comes to warranty arguments as Skoda UK are understandably keen to avoid paying out, so any fault which potentially was caused by me messing around with VCDS is not going to be covered.

fungus

Postby fungus » Mon May 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
martine wrote:

What's the problem?

I completely agree here. Years ago when indicators were seperate it was much easier to see where a driver was indicating.

Nigel.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Mon May 23, 2016 10:58 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Road wasn't the right word. It was a driveway entrance, and the entrance was very narrow meaning you had to enter with a very steep steering angle, and to compound matters further, the entrance had quite steep sides on both sides, so you couldn't see into it very easily. But headlights would not shine into the entrance, and there had been quite a bit of rain, and it was (obviously) dark and actually quite wet when the driver was entering the drive, and unbeknown to us, there had been a mini landslide earlier in the day due to the rain, and there was quite a lot of rock on the left hand side of the entrance, so if it wasn't for the fog light shining into the entrance, the rock would've remained unilluminated and most likely not noticed until it damaged the alloy considerably.

You have clearly not learned rule 1 in the Advanced Drivers' Manual: drive only in good daylight and when no rain is expected. :mrgreen:
Carpe diem

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Gareth wrote:
chriskay wrote:just fit yellow bulbs. :D

I tried but found the pins protruding either side of the base were differently located :roll:

Reminds me of the DRL's on my Volvo 480: you could fairly easily fit bulbs with non-offset pins but if you did, the pop-up headlamps would misbehave.
Carpe diem

Return to “General Chat”