Citigo - 300 miles later.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:57 pm

Imsensible wrote:Trust me, in the middle of winter when it's well below freezing, those heated seats will be very welcome. Of course, that warm feeling could just mean that the car is on fire. In which case, you really would have a hot hatch!

:lol:
My bottom can warm up the seat perfectly satisfactorily! I've honestly never been worried about how cold my bum is on a cold day, and the fact the Citigo has a very small engine with a different design (don't know much detail, but effectively, the exhaust gases are routed differently to normal engines, around the engine block) meaning it warms up much faster means it gets heat very quickly to the cabin.

waremark wrote:
Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've already performed a few overtakes in the car, and it's alright, but planning is important, as is a good knowledge of the road ahead.

Just in case I've misunderstood, you shouldn't need any special knowledge of the road ahead other than you can see or have seen. If you overtake based on prior knowledge, then you're carrying risk that things aren't quite the same as they were previous times you took that route.

Took the words out of my mouth (well, thumb). To overtake safely you don't only need to not see any conflict, you also need to be able to see that there is no potential for conflict. You need to be able to see the whole of the road surface and the verges on both sides for about three times the distance your overtake will take.

But you are lucky to have such a nice car and I am sure you already drive it better than most would.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Or to paraphrase, drive the road each time as if you'd never been along it, and treat each hazard on its merits. Enjoy! :D

What I meant regarding a good knowledge is that if you see a straight section of road which is long enough to safely overtake on, it's good to have the knowledge that there aren't any hidden junctions off it, or any unassuming farm entrances where a tractor might suddenly appear out of. Also, it's useful to know where the good overtaking spots are, because then when you're getting close, you can set yourself up ready for an overtake as soon as an assessment confirms it's safe, meaning your overtake is done and dusted long before the possibility of conflict arises as opposed to doing it further down the safe overtaking zone, meaning you're closer to the end of it, thus being closer to the possible source of conflict.

Synchromesh wrote:Glad you're enjoying the car Insanity! Bit late now, but I think there's a 'comfort pack' which includes parking sensors, cruise and a trip computer...

Once the running in mileage is complete, you should find the car feels a bit perkier with the full rev range at your disposal.

I wanted to get the convenience pack, but doing so would mean having to have a factory order car, which would mean a lead time of about 12 to 14 weeks, and I wanted the car sooner (read: parents wanted their Yeti back sooner), so I had to have a pre built car, and there were none with the convenience pack fitted.

When I get nearer to the end of the PCP, if I decide I want to trade in, and I do the deal early enough, I could go ahead with a factory built one, as I will have a car already, so no time pressure.

It's perfectly perky as it is at the minute, so any added perkiness would be a bonus! I shall have to admit, I reckon there won't be a noticeable difference as I suspect my driving style won't be changing much from how it is currently. There's plenty of power below 4k rpm, so any power above that probably will only be accessed when I'm really hammering on.

IcedKiwi
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby IcedKiwi » Sun May 22, 2016 6:42 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote: and the fact the Citigo has a very small engine with a different design (don't know much detail, but effectively, the exhaust gases are routed differently to normal engines, around the engine block) meaning it warms up much faster means it gets heat very quickly to the cabin.

It's called an Integrated Exhuast Manifold (IEM), instead of having an exhaust manifold bolted on (taking the three exhaust ports to one), it's integrated into the cylinder head then just a single outlet to connect the main exhaust/after treatment system. To stop the head melting with the up to ~900degC you flow the coolant In the head around the IEM too. The extra heat to the coolant means more rapid warm up. The challenge is designing the coolant jacket so the water speed is fast enough that it doesn't boil as it flows around the exhaust!

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 am

IcedKiwi wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote: and the fact the Citigo has a very small engine with a different design (don't know much detail, but effectively, the exhaust gases are routed differently to normal engines, around the engine block) meaning it warms up much faster means it gets heat very quickly to the cabin.

It's called an Integrated Exhuast Manifold (IEM), instead of having an exhaust manifold bolted on (taking the three exhaust ports to one), it's integrated into the cylinder head then just a single outlet to connect the main exhaust/after treatment system. To stop the head melting with the up to ~900degC you flow the coolant In the head around the IEM too. The extra heat to the coolant means more rapid warm up. The challenge is designing the coolant jacket so the water speed is fast enough that it doesn't boil as it flows around the exhaust!

That's well explained, thanks! The heat up time is noticeably a lot faster, in the Yeti, the coolant would only be getting up to temperature after about 7 or 8 miles, in a 13 mile commute.

In the citigo, the coolant is up to temperature after about 2 miles!

Gareth
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby Gareth » Sun May 22, 2016 10:46 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:The heat up time is noticeably a lot faster, in the Yeti, the coolant would only be getting up to temperature after about 7 or 8 miles, in a 13 mile commute.

My experience has been that petrol engines tend to warm up much quicker than most diesels.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The heat up time is noticeably a lot faster, in the Yeti, the coolant would only be getting up to temperature after about 7 or 8 miles, in a 13 mile commute.

My experience has been that petrol engines tend to warm up much quicker than most diesels.

I have noticed the same myself, but my car heats up faster than most petrols too! We had a petrol 1.6 Focus as a loan car once when our Galaxy went into the garage for some work, and it still took about 4 or 5 miles to reach operating temperature.

A combination of being such a small engine plus that fancy new design perhaps.

Silk
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby Silk » Sun May 22, 2016 7:41 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:So, as the title alludes to, I've covered more than 300 miles in my Citigo in the last week and couple of days I've had it.

Image
(I pulled into a convenient field entrance on my way to 6th form this morning, in order to take the picture, but I was jutting out into the road very slightly, so put my hazards on to ensure any unsuspecting drivers would see me, if they'd previously failed to miss the offensively red metal box against the greenery :mrgreen:)


I love the minimalism.

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Speaking as a deaf person, I'm certainly no audiophile!


Is it politically incorrect to find that comment mildly amusing? :lol:

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Silk wrote:I love the minimalism.

I do like it too. It makes a refreshing change from the chromed up rings around the instruments in the Yeti. I like them, but there's something nice about something which is designed to do a job as simply as possible.

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Speaking as a deaf person, I'm certainly no audiophile!


Is it politically incorrect to find that comment mildly amusing? :lol:

I'm sure someone, somewhere, would agree that it's politically incorrect.

User avatar
pete g
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:41 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby pete g » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:13 pm

That's the smallest rev counter I have ever seen...
Br1stol IAM National Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:34 am

It's better than no rev counter.

I must say, I don't have any issues with the size of it!

IcedKiwi
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Citigo - 300 miles later.

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:07 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I must say, I don't have any issues with the size of it!

yeah but what about the rev counter :lol:


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests