Lurking

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
fungus

Re: Lurking

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:38 pm

TripleS wrote:
fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:Alternatively we could just drive our own cars as best we can, and not bother about the oddities displayed by others. Just a thought.... 8-)

Best wishes all,
Dave - just as laid back (and unhelpful) as ever. ;)

Unfortunately other peoples oddities often have an adverse affect on us.

Nigel.

Yes of course; but we have to learn to deal with them. I just don't think it's worth spending a lot of time trying to understand why they do what they do.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Whilst giving a driving lesson to a pupil this afternoon in and around the Poole area in order to gain experience of busier town traffic, it was noticable how many drivers tailgate. :evil: As experienced drivers it is easy to deal with, but for a learner who doesn't have a great deal of larger town experience it is very intimidating. Of course the answer to the problem is to allow yourself extra space and keep the eyes scanning to make planning easier, resulting in unhurried actions, but when felling pressured, that's easier said than done, as the feeling of threat invokes the fight or flight response.

Nigel.

TripleS

Re: Lurking

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:34 pm

fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:
fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:Alternatively we could just drive our own cars as best we can, and not bother about the oddities displayed by others. Just a thought.... 8-)

Best wishes all,
Dave - just as laid back (and unhelpful) as ever. ;)

Unfortunately other peoples oddities often have an adverse affect on us.

Nigel.

Yes of course; but we have to learn to deal with them. I just don't think it's worth spending a lot of time trying to understand why they do what they do.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Whilst giving a driving lesson to a pupil this afternoon in and around the Poole area in order to gain experience of busier town traffic, it was noticable how many drivers tailgate. :evil: As experienced drivers it is easy to deal with, but for a learner who doesn't have a great deal of larger town experience it is very intimidating. Of course the answer to the problem is to allow yourself extra space and keep the eyes scanning to make planning easier, resulting in unhurried actions, but when felling pressured, that's easier said than done, as the feeling of threat invokes the fight or flight response.

Nigel.

OK, I realise that things that cause me no concern might be quite troublesome to very new/inexperienced drivers. Even so, I'm still inclined to feel that learning to cope with unwelcome behaviour by others is more important than trying to figure out why they do what they do.

As for 'fight or flight', I'm not sure that either of those responses, while instinctive and natural in many situations, would be appropriate in a driving context, but YMMV, as they say. 8-)

Return to “General Chat”