Some news for you!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
IcedKiwi

Re: Some news for you!

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu May 12, 2016 11:21 am

I thought it was puddle lights...

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Thu May 12, 2016 11:38 am

That actually is cool. Utterly pointless, but cool. And I don't think 'Skoda' would have quite the same cachet.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu May 12, 2016 12:00 pm

There are lots of options - Skoda logo not required :D

Alasdair

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Thu May 12, 2016 12:05 pm

Once that feature wends its way down market, how long before we see teenagers driving with both doors open to look 'cool' or whatever adjective pubescent drivers use these days innit? Hang on a minute... let's ask our resident chav. Insanity? ;)

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:What does bother me is how stupid I was for doing it in the first place, as I literally said to myself when I left the dealership that I would have to be careful when reversing the car, as there are no parking sensors.

Tip for the day: It doesn't matter whether your car has parking sensors or not. Turn your head and look out of the bloody window!

NB: I say this in a friendly way and do not intend it as an admonishment. I have been guilty of similar myself. Parking sensors are great, but they are only there to assist. You should not rely on them.

I was looking out of the window.

The wrong one.

I was keeping an eye out of my left as I wanted to avoid reversing into the car that was to my left.

The trouble is, being profoundly deaf, I can't hear the parking sensors, so I've become used to the graphic display in the Yeti, and I tend to reverse in using mirrors and when I'm straightened up, I just reverse further in using the parking sensors, but I thought I was reasonably straight and wanted to reverse in quickly to avoid holding up anyone else, and automatically looked to the dashboard expecting to see a parking sensor display, and that was the moment I heard the very loud crunch. Really wished at that moment I'd shelled out the extra £600 for the convenience pack (cruise control, parking sensors and something else), but after that initial crunch, I've not had an issue reversing my car, as it was a wake up call that I needed to pay much more attention out of the windows.

I have to admit, I've been slightly surprised by how much I can see out of the rear windows in the Citigo, compared to how much I can see out of the Yeti. That was another contributory factor I think to my lazy parking skills, as I never really looked out of the back by turning my head, simply because I'd see very little. But in the Citigo, it's worth looking around as the information to be gained is a lot bigger in quantity and quality.

Imsensible wrote:Once that feature wends its way down market, how long before we see teenagers driving with both doors open to look 'cool' or whatever adjective pubescent drivers use these days innit? Hang on a minute... let's ask our resident chav. Insanity? ;)

"Chav"?

This is a teenager who prefers a night in watching Midsomer Murders and chomping my way through a pack of Werther's Originals rather than going out and doing chav things. (I don't even know what chavs do these days).

Regarding the chip and the possibility of touching it up.

This is the worst of the damage. 4 smallish chips that have gone right down to the plastic. Thankfully, there's no damage to the metal bits of the car, so I won't worry too much about rust at the moment. There's no obvious denting or anything, and I think it's more a case of I must've reversed into the bush with enough force to push the bumper in slightly, which must've been amplified inside the car.

This is slightly lower down, and looks like a scuff I could polish out very easily.

Having taken a closer look at it, it looks more like I've reversed into something more solid than a bush, and I'm now wondering if there was a small wall or a post or something that was obscured by the bush.

Do you reckon I could easily sort that out with a touch up pen and some polish, or would I need a chap to come and sort it out properly?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Depending on how well the salesman did his up selling job you may find you have some sort of cover for ChipsAway or some other similarly named service.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 pm

The lighter scuffing would probably come out with some T Cut. The deeper chips will need doing with touch up paint using a paint suitable for plastic, not forgetting the correct colour primer/undercoat. You will need to build the paint up in layers, then when i'ts level, or just proud of the existing surface, cut it back with T Cut to smooth it out, then apply some polish. One other point, do not attempt to paint it if the atmosphere is damp, or with the car in the sun. This will cause the paint to have an orange peel effect.

My experience of firms like Chips Away etc. has not been good. My son had his front bumper touched up a few years ago after he'd scraped it. Acouple of years later the paint was crazing and looking as if very little paint had been applied. I guess a lot depends on the person doing the job, and others experiences may well be different.

Nigel.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:56 pm

fungus wrote:The lighter scuffing would probably come out with some T Cut. The deeper chips will need doing with touch up paint using a paint suitable for plastic, not forgetting the correct colour primer/undercoat. You will need to build the paint up in layers, then when i'ts level, or just proud of the existing surface, cut it back with T Cut to smooth it out, then apply some polish. One other point, do not attempt to paint it if the atmosphere is damp, or with the car in the sun. This will cause the paint to have an orange peel effect.

My experience of firms like Chips Away etc. has not been good. My son had his front bumper touched up a few years ago after he'd scraped it. Acouple of years later the paint was crazing and looking as if very little paint had been applied. I guess a lot depends on the person doing the job, and others experiences may well be different.

Nigel.

Is there much hope of you being able to advise on suitable kits?

I've found a Tornado Red touch up kit from Halfords. Would this be the kind of thing you mean?
ETA: Checked the colour code, it's the right colour.

Or do you mean I can use a touch up pen and I've just got to keep putting more paint on using the pen, then polish it back?

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu May 12, 2016 8:13 pm

I have usually bought touch up (brush paint) from the dealer as you would be able to get the correct match via the paint code. The Halfords kit may well do the job and is not too expensive. I have no experience of touch up pens, but which ever you use you will get a better result by building the paint up in layers as per the instructions.

Nigel.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 12, 2016 8:31 pm

All you need for that is a touch up brush. Just put the paint into the chip in tiny dots until you fill it (in layers small enough to dry quickly). Keep as little paint as possible on the brush. Dip it, then wipe almost all the paint off. Be careful of paint on the stem of the brush which will run down unexpectedly and make big blobs. If you get too much on, wipe it off straight away and start again. The Halfords kit should be fine although aftermarket paint isn't always a great match.
Nick

Return to “General Chat”