Some news for you!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Some news for you!

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:41 pm

So, some developments have taken place in the Insanity household.

The parents have agreed to let me PCP/lease a car for the next 4 years, so I'm looking at a bunch of city cars with an aim to get one for somewhere around £120 a month with a £500 to £800 deposit.

Before you lot suggest 'shedding' it. I have looked at 'sheds', and the insurance cost would be approximately 4 times more than what I'd pay for the car itself, so the idea of a PCP (I only have to pay for £600 to £700 per year of insurance, and £120odd per month of use, and the cost of fuel use) appeals to me a lot.

I've been looking at a bunch of your typical first cars, and have landed on either a Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii/VW Up! or a Fiat 500, or my special out-of-the-box choice, a Fiat Panda...

All are new, and all seem to offer deals whereupon I put a £800 deposit down and pay between £115 to £130 a month for them.

Insurance seems to be in the region of £700ish a year.

So I've managed to get my mum to agree to accompany me to the same Skoda dealer where they got their "green"line Yeti from this Friday evening...

Finally! After 1 year of constant pestering, I think they've caved in! :mrgreen:

Their justification is that it'd be useful for me to have a car for the holidays when I'm home, and especially during summer, because then my sister can have a car for her summer work experience, while I have a car for my summer jobs, while my parents have the camper to use for days out etc.

Anyway. I shall update this thread with more news when I learn of such.

akirk

Re: Some news for you!

Postby akirk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Hurrah!
Pictures (when you choose!)

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:56 pm

So, shall be trying to book a car for a test drive this Saturday - a Skoda Citigo with a 1.0l 60hp engine, and possibly another one with a 75hp engine if possible, so I can decide whether I'd be able to deal with the 60hp engine or whether I'd have to have the 75hp engine.

The deals for them seem to be £800 deposit, then £123 p/month (10k miles p/a, 3dr Colour edition) or £135 p/month (10k miles p/a, 5dr Colour edition).

I'd rather have a 5 door model, but may settle with a 3 door, depending on how big the doors are.

skodatezzer

Postby skodatezzer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Great news! Now we'll want to be hearing how you plan to get some additional driver training on board! Shame you're not within striking distance of East Surrey IAM as we're about to launch a very special offer for young drivers - basically if you train with us and pass your IAM test, we'll refund the cost of the Skill for Life package. See what your local IAM and ROADAR can do. Or, do you know yet where you'll be going to Uni?

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd rather have a 5 door model, but may settle with a 3 door, depending on how big the doors are.

5 door only, trust me.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:08 pm

You should start with a shed. I know it may be more expensive on paper, but it is a Useful Life Experience.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Triquet wrote:You should start with a shed. I know it may be more expensive on paper, but it is a Useful Life Experience.

Didn't we all start with sheds?

Having said that, it was far easier to fix a shed yourself back in the 60s/70s than it would be today.

Nigel.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:So, shall be trying to book a car for a test drive this Saturday - a Skoda Citigo with a 1.0l 60hp engine, and possibly another one with a 75hp engine if possible, so I can decide whether I'd be able to deal with the 60hp engine or whether I'd have to have the 75hp engine.

The deals for them seem to be £800 deposit, then £123 p/month (10k miles p/a, 3dr Colour edition) or £135 p/month (10k miles p/a, 5dr Colour edition).

I'd rather have a 5 door model, but may settle with a 3 door, depending on how big the doors are.

I had a 60bhp version as a courtesy car not long after they came out. Given that it weighs next to nothing, I didn't find it horribly underpowered, although I did discover that you had to have the ICE on all the time as the lack of soundproofing in the engine bay made the three cylinder engine sound like a washing machine filled with M16 nuts.

I can't remember if I had 3 or 5 door. If you need to decant normal adults into the back seats then 5 door is the way to go, else go 3-door (and can be used as an excuse for not giving Great Aunt Edna a lift).
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 am

fungus wrote:
Triquet wrote:You should start with a shed. I know it may be more expensive on paper, but it is a Useful Life Experience.

Didn't we all start with sheds?

Having said that, it was far easier to fix a shed yourself back in the 60s/70s than it would be today.

Some of us never really moved on from that stage :lol: On the upside, generally they need far less fixing these days, but as you say it can be impossible to DIY when they do :(

angus

Postby angus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:10 am

Return to “General Chat”