Some news for you!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

Re: Some news for you!

Postby Triquet » Mon May 02, 2016 7:59 am

Ah yes, I quite like a Skoda Enigmatic. It's had very good reviews.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon May 02, 2016 8:24 am

Just an Octavia. The Enigmatic sounded good, but I couldn't get enough info on it to make a decision.
Nick

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 pm

I think Enigmatic is actually a euphemism for CVT auto ...

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 pm

It say here that the model is dead:

https://www.cardekho.com/overview/Skoda ... Active.htm

At least, according to that website Skoda are now a luxury car maker

ps I know they make exceedingly good cars.

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 am

sussex2 wrote: ps I know they make exceedingly dull cars.

EFA ;)

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sat May 07, 2016 11:11 am

There's a man who's never been in an Octavia 1.6 diesel estate...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Sat May 07, 2016 3:14 pm

True, but I have been in two standard Octavias, diesels as I recall. Dull as dishwater internally and externally. Just like all the other Skodas. Like most of the generic VW group cars, outside of Porsche, Lambo and the Audi R8 (which really is too civilised for it's own good). There is no imagination, flair, personality... just acres of sombre black plastic in a generic shell. The latest SEAT Ibiza is better externally, but inside is bland. The scirocco is similar, the Audi TT little better. They are not the only culprits of course, but one of the worst. Strangely, the little 3 cylinder in the Up!/Mii/Citigo is characterful, and the interiors bright and airy. Externally, they're awful. IMHO.

Mind you, I also think the Mk.3 MX 5 is a disappointment. Not driven the latest MK.4, but it can only be an improvement!

Like yourself, I had a Swift 1.6 Sport, and the design was great, the engine brilliant, nice 6 speed gearbox, lots of standard equipment. But the car felt too tall, the seats gave me back ache and I couldn't get comfortable for any period of time. I had the 1.2 Swift SZ3 before that (and both together for a few months, both in white, 3 doors) and it was great. Strangely, It had more comfortable seats too.

Sorry to upset those owners of VW/SEAT/Skoda cars ;)

angus

Postby angus » Sat May 07, 2016 4:47 pm

An Octavia estate may not be the most exciting box on the road, but I thoroughly enjoyed driving Dave's, and preferred it to the Swift.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat May 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Imsensible wrote:True, but I have been in two standard Octavias, diesels as I recall. Dull as dishwater internally and externally. Just like all the other Skodas. Like most of the generic VW group cars, outside of Porsche, Lambo and the Audi R8 (which really is too civilised for it's own good). There is no imagination, flair, personality... just acres of sombre black plastic in a generic shell. The latest SEAT Ibiza is better externally, but inside is bland. The scirocco is similar, the Audi TT little better. They are not the only culprits of course, but one of the worst. Strangely, the little 3 cylinder in the Up!/Mii/Citigo is characterful, and the interiors bright and airy. Externally, they're awful. IMHO.

Perhaps you should consider an alternative hobby. It sounds like you don't like cars. :lol:

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Imsensible wrote:Strangely, the little 3 cylinder in the Up!/Mii/Citigo is characterful, and the interiors bright and airy. Externally, they're awful. IMHO.

I have to admit, at first I thought the trio were rather ugly, so I was going to go elsewhere. But after actually seeing the Citigo in the flesh, I thought it was not a bad looking car at all. The three door does look better proportioned than the 5 door, but I've gone for the 5 door due to practicality. I was genuinely impressed with the Citigo I took for a test drive, and as you say, the engine seems very characterful, and keen to rev. It's the first car where I've genuinely enjoy revving it on my exit off roundabouts. I fear I shall have difficulty restraining myself for the running in period :mrgreen: It seems to beg you to go foraging up near the red line, and the engine sound was rather nice. It makes a change from the typical clattery canal boat noises that both the Yeti and Camper produce :lol:
I also didn't even need to push the pedal all the way down when accelerating to (ahem) 70 on the dual carriageway, despite being 4 up, something I frequently need to do in the Yeti to get any meaningful acceleration.

Perhaps when I've become used to the Citigo, I shall get those moments where I just wished it had a little more grunt.

Plus, it's only £670 for a year from Admiral (£680 through confused.com) for me being the main driver, whereas the Yeti is £1600 a year for me to be the main driver. (I'm put down as a named driver because my mum needed somewhere to put her NCB but Admiral are aware I use the Yeti the most).

Updates: Dealer has given me the registration number of the car I'll be getting. Also, the dealer has confirmed the car should be arriving at the dealership on Monday, and it should be ready for me to pick up on Wednesday.

Return to “General Chat”