Some news for you!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Imsensible

Re: Some news for you!

Postby Imsensible » Tue May 10, 2016 2:16 am

Silk wrote:You're a car fascist. In fact, you're the worst kind, a Skodaphobe. :lol

BTW, it's Skodas. HTH.

Yes it does, thanks. That's what happens when I edit two or three sentences back down to one and don't check my spelling. That is probably the only useful thing you have ever said on this forum. Or indeed ADUK. Be careful, you might make a habit of it. :shock:

Silk wrote:You're obviously new here. ;-)

Considering the age of this forum, I'd say we are all fairly new here, but then I had the misfortune of reading your posts on ADUK too :lol:

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Tue May 10, 2016 2:35 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:To put aside concerns about reliability and dealers, I have always thought that a true ADer could drive any car to its maximum potential.

Is that not what Roadcraft is about?

That most certainly isn't what Roadcraft is about. I doubt there are many on here who could truly drive any car to it's maximum potential, whatever that may be. Not even Stressed Dave, although I'm sure he'll have a formula, a graph and a story to show how close to perfect any given individual is ;)

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue May 10, 2016 7:04 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:To put aside concerns about reliability and dealers, I have always thought that a true ADer could drive any car to its maximum potential.

Including an unfamiliar car? The ability to drive an unfamiliar car to an exemplary standard is a rare skill. Coping with the unfamiliar aspects imposes a mental workload which distracts from other aspects of the driving process.

It has been said (to paraphrase) that the true test of a driver is how he drives when he picks up an unfamiliar hire car in an unfamiliar foreign city at night.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue May 10, 2016 7:24 am

Imsensible wrote:

That most certainly isn't what Roadcraft is about. I doubt there are many on here who could truly drive any car to it's maximum potential, whatever that may be. Not even Stressed Dave, although I'm sure he'll have a formula, a graph and a story to show how close to perfect any given individual is ;)

Sanity says that you (provided you're not idiotic and I have a decade of experience that says that that can't be held true for the general population) can use 100% of the capabilities of a car in a straight line but only around 50% when cornering (there's a nice relationship between limit point and cornering acceleration). Given those parameters, it's more about optimising the road you're presented with than using all the potential of the car. Else I wouldn't be able to overtake others in more powerful machinery.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue May 10, 2016 8:15 am

StressedDave wrote:
Imsensible wrote:

Sanity says that you (provided you're not idiotic and I have a decade of experience that says that that can't be held true for the general population) can use 100% of the capabilities of a car in a straight line but only around 50% when cornering (there's a nice relationship between limit point and cornering acceleration). Given those parameters, it's more about optimising the road you're presented with than using all the potential of the car. Else I wouldn't be able to overtake others in more powerful machinery.

so AD skills are drive the road not the car? Makes sense...

Alasdair

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 am

Yes but no but...

'Basic' AD skills are drive the road, else policemen of varying interest/skill and aptitude would not be able to take and pass the Police courses. Beyond that, when you're talking very seriously about optimisation, then a lot of car control comes in, mainly to do with corner entry and exit. If it wasn't then people like Don Palmer wouldn't be in business.

Then there's steering and gear-changing to cover... :lol:
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue May 10, 2016 10:06 am

StressedDave wrote:Then there's steering and gear-changing to cover... :lol:

won't be needed soon :D
Alasdair

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue May 10, 2016 10:09 am

Won't happen over this side of the pond anytime soon...

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue May 10, 2016 12:02 pm

waremark wrote:It has been said (to paraphrase) that the true test of a driver is how he drives when he picks up an unfamiliar hire car in an unfamiliar foreign city at night.

After a 12 hour flight! Not a good idea to then head straight up into the mountains and above ice level. But hey, I didn't crash it, right! I got us to our destination safely and only irritated a few locals who knew there was nothing coming around those blind (icy and fog-bound) bends.

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue May 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Imsensible wrote:...but then I had the misfortune of reading your posts on ADUK too :lol:

You could have stopped at one, but you had to read them all. :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Chat”