Anyone for a Tesla 3?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Anyone for a Tesla 3?

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:05 am

Maybe a good idea to read this article first :mrgreen:
Nick

martine

Re: Anyone for a Tesla 3?

Postby martine » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 am

I have to say that is a very biased article (in my opinion) which seems to have been written in fine journalist style to make a story but aside from the green arguments, the Tesla 3 does appear to be an interesting car and a step forward from other embarrassing electric cars like the Renault Zoe or Nissan Leaf with their 90m range (or significantly less in winter).

Having driven a Tesla S (see previous posts on ADUK) you will know I was seriously impressed but that's an expensive car (£53K+) - it's nice to see a potentially affordable electric car that has much of the practicality of a petrol/diesel equivalent.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:51 am

I have no interest in owning any "connected" car... ever.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:15 am

'Plagued by quality problems' so the article says, referring to the current model.
I don't believe in paying a lot of money to be a guinea pig and until the, considerable, range and battery longevity problems have been sorted, then no I will no be interested.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:35 am

I didn't think that article was particularly biased although any journalist should have been able to realise the difference between total emissions and city emissions. The pollution would be dependent in any case on the profile of power generation methods. Those predicting the rise of the electric car should take a moment out to consider the generating capacity of the UK and the amount of time it takes to charge the cars in the first place. Even based on the old economy 7 tariff idea we're likely to see an energy shortage, at least until we chuck a load of nuclear plants on line.

When it has a guaranteed 300+mile range under all circumstances and charging posts everywhere, I might be interested. Until then, no chance.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:49 am

any company which a) has the ability to and b) actually pushes out updates such as the Tesla S autonomous mode to a car without notifying customers is not one I would wish to be involved with - okay they backtracked, but it was still not an approach I would want...

it is also worth remembering that Musk's future plans are around power and batteries - not cars per se...

and it doesn't have a decent engine sound!!

Alasdair

martine

Postby martine » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:08 pm

sussex2 wrote:'Plagued by quality problems' so the article says, referring to the current model.
I don't believe in paying a lot of money to be a guinea pig and until the, considerable, range and battery longevity problems have been sorted, then no I will no be interested.

Yes I'd like to know that the quality problems are. I am taking a ride in a Tesla S tomorrow - I will ask the owner what he thinks.

The quoted range of the Tesla S is between 275m and 340m depending on model. Independent tests have shown a real world range of 230m to 280m - which is comparable to my Focus ST :oops: And it recharges to 50% in 20 mins - i.e. after a loo break and a coffee.

Seems pretty practical to me (apart from the price).
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Provided a) you're near a supercharger station and thus taking a boring route (after all you can fill your ST pretty much anywhere) and b) you don't drive spiritedly with lots of acceleration c/f braking phases. The original Tesla cars based on a Lotus Elise in drag has this particular issue.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:03 pm

martine wrote:
sussex2 wrote:'Plagued by quality problems' so the article says, referring to the current model.

Yes I'd like to know that the quality problems are. I am taking a ride in a Tesla S tomorrow - I will ask the owner what he thinks.

The quoted range of the Tesla S is between 275m and 340m depending on model. Independent tests have shown a real world range of 230m to 280m - which is comparable to my Focus ST :oops: And it recharges to 50% in 20 mins - i.e. after a loo break and a coffee.

Seems pretty practical to me (apart from the price).

How often have you forgotten to charge your phone? ;)

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:24 pm

sussex2 wrote:How often have you forgotten to charge your phone? ;)

No one forgets to charge their phone. Except you. ;-)

Return to “General Chat”