Glimmer of hope?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Glimmer of hope?

Postby martine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:16 pm

Hot off the presses...

http://www.roadsafetyknowledgecentre.org.uk/knowledge/1538.html

So can we now focus on driver education rather than the over simplistic 'speed, speed, speed' road safety message?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:09 am

Don't hold your breath ;)

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 1490
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 am

Regression to the mean'?
My own views. For better or worse :)

trashbat
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby trashbat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:43 am

More information's required, isn't it.

The cameras were switched off. Presumably they're still physically present. Was the switch off well publicised?

I wouldn't expect anything short of removal to change anything, frankly.

martine
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby martine » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 am

trashbat wrote:More information's required, isn't it.

The cameras were switched off. Presumably they're still physically present. Was the switch off well publicised?

I wouldn't expect anything short of removal to change anything, frankly.

Yes indeed - the report mentions previous differences in vehicle speed when the cameras are 'bagged' (i.e. covered)...but that itself doesn't indicate more RTCs.

The fixed cameras in Swindon were very publically switched off a few years ago...I wonder how the RTC rate compares there.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby akirk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:42 pm

In Swindon back in 2010 they were reporting that there was no subsequent increase in accidents - not sure of current stats...
they did also a couple of years ago trial traffic lights that detected people speeding and turned to red - quite clever...

Alasdair

LenWoodman55
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:13 am

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby LenWoodman55 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:24 am

We've got Red Light Speed Cameras here in Sydney. Catches those accelerating to get across on amber!

sussex2
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby sussex2 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:04 am

akirk wrote:In Swindon back in 2010 they were reporting that there was no subsequent increase in accidents - not sure of current stats...
they did also a couple of years ago trial traffic lights that detected people speeding and turned to red - quite clever...

Alasdair


They have a similar system in Spain and generally as you approach a village or town; exceed the speed limit and the next set of lights turn red.

TripleS
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Briggswath

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby TripleS » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:06 am

sussex2 wrote:
akirk wrote:In Swindon back in 2010 they were reporting that there was no subsequent increase in accidents - not sure of current stats...
they did also a couple of years ago trial traffic lights that detected people speeding and turned to red - quite clever...

Alasdair


They have a similar system in Spain and generally as you approach a village or town; exceed the speed limit and the next set of lights turn red.


Seems like a good idea to me, I'd be happy with such a system.

My principal beef is with the regime that applies 'out of town.' Bring back the original meaning what became known as the NSL sign. :P

....and a Happy Easter to one and all. Er, am I allowed to mention 'Easter'?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

michael769
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:36 am

Re: Glimmer of hope?

Postby michael769 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:37 am

It is perhaps worth reading the full report and taking note of the many important caveats most notably:

Motorists may still be under the impression that the cameras are working as the housings are
regularly maintained and not covered in bags stating they are out of use. Previous, unpublished
research by the author has shown that bagged cameras have an immediate impact on vehicles
speeds, which return to normal once the bags are removed.


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests